Genius sub designer sought!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've just been searching for recommended enclosures for the Aurasound line of subs. I came across two respectable sources of info, from Madisound and Solen. Both sites have some recommendations for these drivers.

It seems their 15"(ported) would be better suited to my needs, over the 18" (in either ported or sealed). Which is a shame as I had quite fancied going for a rather large cone area. However it seems the cabinet for this 18 to really drop low will be absolutely vast! For example, their suggestions were...

15" Aura at Madisound recommends: F3 of 22Hz: 4.5 cubic feet, Port: 4" Ø x 15" long.
This is a very low F3 which would be great. The cabinet is also reasonably compact.

18" Aura at Madisound recommends: F3 of 35Hz: 4.5 cubic feet sealed and stuffed.
So now the F3 is pretty unimpressive way up at 35hz, so I am not so keen on this.

Now check out the recommended sized from Solen...

15" Aura at Solen - circa 4.5cuft (122L) Port: 4" Ø x13" long, giving a 22Hz F3
So quite a decent set of stats again

18" Aura at Solen - circa 10.6cuft (288L) for an 18Hz F3.
Epic stats but that cabinet is HUGE! Yet strangely if I wanted a higher F3 like 20Hz the cabinet size is even larger at 343L (circa 12.7 cuft!)

But how can each place have different port stats for the 15" yet still have the same F3 figure of 22Hz? Should I split the difference and go with a 14" long port?

Which driver and cabinet would you go for and why? Thanks!

Sources:

http://www.solen.ca/import/woofapp.htm

http://www.madisound.com/catalog/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=121&products_id=81

http://www.madisound.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=82

Don't go simulating ideal QB3 curves in software for each driver as if you put that in your room you will find you have FAR too much output low down ;)

I have a slightly smaller room than you, assuming (also being from the UK) you have solid brick walls like my room you will have similar room gain. From measurements I have found my room is around +10db at 20Hz and +20db at 10Hz (!). So if I were to put a sub in my room with a simulated flat passband and textbook rolloff with f3 below 20Hz, all I'd end up doing would be EQ'ing the low output away.

The best way to go about it for you IMO would be to find a 12-15" driver that gives a Q around 0.7 in a sealed box of the size you're happy with, then EQ to taste once you have it in-room and measured. With sealed sub's it doesn't really matter what theoretical frequency response you end up with too much, so long as the driver has the right volume of air behind it the sound will be good.

The point I'm trying to make is if you had two 12" drivers with the same xmax, their potential performance is the same regardless of their simulated 'ideal' enclosure frequency response.

Hi inksplat,

Your room is not so much larger than mine, I would recommend to use a BP-TQWT.

It works great for me, small, low FREQ <20(if placed in correctly :cool: ), can play silently/loud on low frequency’s (35W gives 106 dBSPL at 80Hz,xmas safe at 20Hz)

Although it requires some engineering skills so if your lucky a person with some skill in Audio Engineering can help you.

The BP-TQWT dose have extremely good SQ on the lowest and highest frequency’s in my opinion.

See my BP-TQWT's data at http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1658382#post1658382

Hope you make it, consider my idea.

Hi,

My 2-cent of thoughts of using 18” Aura driver in a bedroom and more:

These are my parameters...

1. Location - bedroom system, measures 14' x 12', sub to sit in one corner…

If only using one sub, you need to Eq. The in room FR. See picture 1(4) for hints.

2. Music - various electronica soundscapes with ultra low notes,….. Will be used for films too…3. Volume - Low levels in the evening

Turn the volume knob down; works with any system but the low-end extension will normally suffer if cannot be loudness equalized. See picture 1(4) for hints.

4. I want ultra low extension (My PMC had some info at 10Hz with a test disc)

Instead of 10 Hz: I think distortion and compression artifacts = over tones was probably heard.

…6. Ideally it would be around 4cuft, but up to 6cuft might be ok too.

If you consider using the 18” Aura in such small boxes without heavily LT, you are designing a mid-bass, not a sub.
See picture 2(4) where a net internal volume of 292L, i.e. a 328 L internal volume box (36 L of bracings) I designed for a friend before he covered this box with veneered MDF that increases the total box volume to 447 L.
Box simulation can be seen at picture 3(4) and a suitable implementation of LT at picture 4(4).

7…. some of you might say a small 12 in a TL enclosure might be better than an 18 sealed?

IMO, generally no, not if a driver is carefully chosen and put in a suitable box, but if I would ever put a sub in my bedroom, primarily for SQ reasons, it would be a slim, small footprint easy to place BP-TQWT like the one Rickard DIY suggests.

b

1(4)

Attachments

• 1-14x12x7.87.gif
    1-14x12x7.87.gif
    71.8 KB · Views: 299
I have seen a picture of that huge baffle speaker a very long time ago...I think it used KEF drivers, and the DECCA ribbon

Off topic of course: :eek:

Actually the horn tweeter is a Decca ribbon clone = Gamma VLD 12 or VLD 13. See the picture 1(1) that was much improved (better ribbon and transformer) by Bo Bengtsson, the Swedish designer of the Megatrend OB-speaker:

http://www.transmissionaudio.com/home/investorinfo.html

By the way, the speaker shown did not sound good or imaged well in an ordinary Swedish living room.
Of course it was not designed for that purpose and so I helped to sharpen up the speaker capability to present a much more focused phantom image, i.e. by disconnecting the VLD 13 by using ‘Red Rose R1 ribbons’ instead together with a row of KEF B110 B: s as for mids: filler drivers with passband Q of 0.5 at a center frequency of about 500 Hz.

b

1(1)

Attachments

• gamma-vld 13.jpg
    gamma-vld 13.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 233
Wow, thanks for making such an effort with the long replies.

I will take on board your comments with regard to in room response.

Unfortunately the box requirements for that 18 are vast! To keep the similar results to those you have modeled, but limit the internal size to circa 160 absolute max (or ideally closer to 110)... which size Aura would you suggest? Would the 15 work in this situation?

Thankyou so much for your time!

Hi Inksplat,

Here’s a late answer: First, if I ever would put in a sub in a bedroom and later moving into my living room too, I would not take larger quality speaker drivers like the Aura’s that all are demanding a certain volume to produce adequate BW and good SQ (HT or music sub bass) because its possible to do that.

Both a 110 and 160 L box for the 15” Aura results IMO only in good mid-bass quality, nothing more. See figure 1(1).

Of course, if you include LT + a high power amp or/and use a dedicated multi-band bass-equalizer in your setup, things would change but would be IMO overkill and waste of money.

Hers a link to a good use and simulation of the 15” Aura driver sub:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1298938#post1298938

b

1(1)

Attachments

• aura  ns15-992-4a-closed.gif
    aura ns15-992-4a-closed.gif
    44.6 KB · Views: 177
Thanks for that link. So 7cuft then, I'll have to see if that will look ok.

Is that taking into account the volume taken up by the driver and port?

I see the internal height = 1.067m, plus the external dimensions are also listed. I wondered how thick the walls are so I can then work out the internal Width x Depth.

Finally how would it affect the sound if the sub were positioned in the corner of the room right near the walls? Would any changes to the design need to be made in order to maintain high sound quality?

Thankyou!

Hey Inksplat, Like you i am looking into building a set of TL's and if you've seen PMC's BB5 a 15" bass driver gives you a massive cab, ive been looking into building a similar design to theirs, but smaller with Volt radial bass drivers, in a 12" at the moment im having trouble finding a cabinet maker! Id check out the volt radials and ATC mids, or volt ones if you have the money.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.