Furniture doubling up as Subwoofer?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The room's acoustic center is where all the first eigenmodes (standing waves) occur, so a very resonant (rippled) response in the bass due to the three major nulls and their odd harmonics chopping it up, ergo no place for a listening position either.

GM

Re: Table Tuba Lnk

"placing a sub in the center of the room is the worst placement"

Did you notice the cabinet? That's also a subwoofer. Placement would be along the front wall instead of the center of the room. It could also be oriented on its side (with different doors/shelves for use as a TV stand/media center. That's what I plan to do.

The AV cabinet would have been a nice idea, unfortunately I already ordered mine a couple of days back. I thought may be doubling it up with a sub would not be too good an idea as it would house my equipment which would walk around with the subwoofer :)

I just finished my second sub designed to look like an end table; 26" high X 20" X 14". You can easily get 1.5cf in that. I did one 29" high to go beside a desk with 2.5 cf. Another is 24" high and will be 12"x12" and work as as small stand for, bowl, speaker, plant, what ever.

Small and cute helps the WAF. Now if you want 4-6 cf, go for a corner cabinet, but forget actually storing anything in it. Not really worth the trouble. Corners are often dead space to women, and they will let you do a lot if it is tall and thin... and cute( think color and trim). Molding is easy to use to me and can turn a sub into a column ( think architectural accent). Propose a big fern on top and you have provided a great plant stand for her. Use paint color and accent for molding.

This does not come naturally for me but my daughters have been a great help. Women's eyes light up when posed with a decorating challenge, as do men posed with some mechanical or engineering one.

Have fun

Bob

Here are my latest; two subs and a HT R. The big sub is 2cf gross and sealed with Dayton RSS215HF 8" driven by PE 240w PA. It goes in the corner and goes very low. "Master and Commander" is a real treat for my staid friends. Had friends over and demoed it to the men while the wives chatted in the other room. Busted up the hen party and scared them out to find out what was wrong!! The corner must really make a difference, as sim in Unibox showed nothing like that.

Second sub is new; SD215-88 with PE 70w PA in 1.5 cf, vented. It will go in corner, so to protect from over extension, I may stuff the vent. It will be used for HT, but in a small second floor condo, and the neighbors might complain. Its for my daughter and she does not want it loud.

The third speaker is one of 3 based on Zaph's HiVi/Vifa 5 design that is now pulled, as the drivers are no longer available. It sounds great and looks just as good. The drivers are beautiful.

Bob

Attachments

• speakers5664.jpg
    speakers5664.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 231
hey guys! looking for a more modern (pre-built) alternative to house a subwoofer for a design client of mine. Anything out there in the marketplace. Price is not an issue with this client! Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Also, he's insisting that the subwoofer unit needs to be "on the floor." As i see with some of the designs associated to this post, that's not necessarily the case?

Also, he's insisting that the subwoofer unit needs to be "on the floor." As i see with some of the designs associated to this post, that's not necessarily the case?

A sub doesn't have to be near a boundary, but there is gain when boundary loaded. And the boundary doesn't have to be the floor necessarily.
Subs can be "flown" and placed in high corners.

I have two very good subs but I can still hear (by ear only) a couple nulls in my new room so I am buiding end table subs out of these RS Optimus speakers. They are very stout and were made to sit on. I am thinking about using a PE sub and I have a coupld plate amps that should do the trick. Not looking to rock the house, just kill some nulls.

IMG_4413.jpg

IMG_4414.jpg

IMG_4415.jpg

IMG_4416.jpg

IMG_4417.jpg

IMG_4418.jpg

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.