CV parameters needed - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th December 2008, 02:23 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default CV parameters needed

I own 2 of the smaller 124
I have emailed CV, polite but not helpful, no old data not sent to new owners
Cerwin Vega will no longer help with Y/S parameters for any of their drivers new or discontinued.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....id=p2759.l1259

This beauty was just listed on E*** Australia, i'd like it to complement the existing pair, does any-one have the TS parameters for this unit??
I have the parameters for the 12's ans I have never taken them out of the little sealed box that came as part of the original purchase package, 12's are Fs 24 and Qts0.33, small Vas, I can only assume these are similar but lower Fs.
Old 4th December 2008, 03:18 PM   #2
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Dunno, all I have is the VMX series, i.e. 15.4 which has a listed 23.4 Fs, 0.56 Qts, 82.32 L Vas.

GM
Old 4th December 2008, 03:28 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

GM i should of course said higher Vas, if the Q of the bigger woofer is 0.56 I think I'd be putting them in sealed box.
You modelled the little ones for me for a TL a little while ago, I still havent done anything but I have kept the data and plans in a safe place.
CerwinVega also did an 18inch version of this driver, can you imagine that in a small hatchback??
Old 4th December 2008, 04:27 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Dunno if the 'classic' V154 is even similar.

I did? I normally save all my sims, but can't find any CV other than an 18" Stroker TQWT, so got a link?

My interest in car audio peaked in ~1971 when I added a high SQ derived four channel plus sub system (AKA 5.1 system with phantom CC in today's parlance) in my late wife's '70 1/2 SS350 Camaro and until the DSP revolution came along heard nothing in any car that could match it overall in performance and if I had my way all the 'boom-box' cars would be so heavily regulated WRT to SPL emissions that any abusive SPLs would be treated as tantamount to a drunk driving crime, so except for SPL competition an 18" in any typical commuter road going vehicle would be a complete waste of $$$/effort IMO.

That said, I found the stereo pair of Altec 500 Hz VOTT components in what was effectively a divided one piece cab that replaced all of the rear passenger compartment plus trunk of a '75? Camaro was rather entertaining in a near-field 'you're part of the band' sort of way until he cranked it up to ear bleed levels, forcing me to make a hasty exit. With no rear vision except for door mirrors though, not something I could ever recommend, though maybe OK with a rear view camera, so always YMMV.

'Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean!', but loud cars just define an extremely irritating form of distortion.

GM
Old 5th December 2008, 12:49 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

GM, if yu need data on CV folow this link

http://english.gttrading.it/utilita/...%20Cerwin-Vega
Not much difference between the 12 and the 15, i'll run the numbers soon
Old 5th December 2008, 03:41 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Thanks, Google didn't find this one for me.

Info on the earlier design I did?

GM
Old 5th December 2008, 10:11 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Tapered TL for the CV124 Small folded box, I'm looking at the sketch but i've misplaced the figures, that isn't a problem as I can find the thread.
Your comment was that small Vas made TL's more difficult to design, my comment was that it made for better WAF.
I'm bidding on one only CV 154, amd was thinking of using it in a TL and keeing the smaller ones in the 20 litre sealed boxes.
I would appreciate some help or a comment on the 15, I'm looking for a sub to use below 40/45Hz to go with the new OB 3-way I'm planning, I have a Behringer XO and 40 is the lowest XO point, and the drivers should handle a bit more power if I can remove some of the lowest note, and while I already have a Kicker EX15 in a sealed box of 190 litres I'm happy to biuld a new box if this driver performs better.
Regards
Ted

PS The seller gave me that link, since the sale of CV to Stanton the level of srevice sems to have dropped somewhat but data on a lot of drivers there
Old 6th December 2008, 12:17 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Just found the figures you gave me for the 12's
TQWT
7.12Cubic feet
72.4 inches long 10:1 taper.

I've been playing with JB's box program, the "154" in a 200 litre box tuned to 20Hz seems to give reasonable performance and SPL and as the pre-amp has a second order subsonic filter at 15Hz extreme excursion shouldn't be too much of a problem.
Like it's smaller sibling this really isn't the best driver for a sealed box, will it perform better in a TL??
What do you think of running both subs one sealed and one ported both only handling that lower octave 40 -->> 20 Hz??
The other sealed box with the Kicker 15 isn't perfect but it is reasonable and as that awful peak at 120 isn't going to be there not too bad musically.
Old 7th December 2008, 03:13 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

GM I suppose I should give you the parameters for the Kicker sub that I have in the 190litre sealed box , just in case you want t do a quick comparison.

Fs 19 Hz
Vas 314 litres
Qms 5.77
Qes 0.56
SD 890cm^2
X-max 19mm ( thats published which is optomistic / 19 is X-max + 15%)

It is currently in a fully stuffed sealed box of 135 litres so I extrapolated a 15% increase in vitual box size, 1st order high pass inside box a capacitor bank 1755uF ( 100V rated rat tail bpolar) helps fill out the bottom end
Stated power handling of 400 watts is in a sealed box,Q = 1.1

I've probably never put more than 150 peak into it, it is loud
Old 7th December 2008, 03:52 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Moondog55

Tapered TL for the CV124 Small folded box........

Your comment was that small Vas made TL's more difficult to design, my comment was that it made for better WAF.

I would appreciate some help or a comment on the 15........
I don't know what I did with it, I can't find anything on it.

Yes, TLs like high Vas and yes, low Vas makes for small cabs, ergo long vents, hence the TQWT comes to the rescue to turn the whole cab into a loaded vent.

The 154 wants a TQWT also and has enough Xmax to do 2 kW/16 Hz if it can handle it, so a Vb = ~Vas or a little larger should work if the specs are reasonably accurate.

GM

Hide this!Advertise here!