What about these? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd December 2008, 08:42 PM   #1
jerryo is offline jerryo  Isle of Man
diyAudio Member

Default What about these?

Saw some 15" bass drivers for sale on ebay for 39.95 with the following specs. 96 db/watt, 28hz resonance, Qms 7.093, Qes 0.932, Qts 0.823 They are listed under "ICE" for cars but I was thinking "open baffle" for the home. 80.00 for two 15" bass drivers with these specs has to be a good thing, or am I missing something. I thought that they might go well with a pair of NEO 8 planars that I have. What do you think? Cheers.
Old 3rd December 2008, 09:53 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Link please
Much easier if I can see the actual ad
regards
Ted
Old 4th December 2008, 07:04 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hi Moondog55, the ebay item number on the UK ebay site is 380085629122 and they are Boss Audio subs. The high Qts and high efficiency with a pretty low fs caught my eye. I have never heard an open baffle speaker so............!
Old 4th December 2008, 07:50 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

First off!!

Take don't take what I say as the comments of a expert.

They look at first glance to be OK, X-max doesn't appear to be stated and as OB speakers have no box to control cone movement it is easy to push VC out to XMAX plus 2/300% so power handling will not be anything like 300 watts, probably more like 12 or 15 each.
Have you downloaded X-baffle yet?? Download it and punch these parameters in and see what happens as you change baffle width and height, 2 of these per baffle would be better but that does depend on how big your room is, my new plans are for 4 12inch per side and they can only handle 12 total watts if I let them go all the way down to resonance at 32hz
Old 4th December 2008, 02:57 PM   #5
GM is online now GM  United States
diyAudio Member

FYI, these are apparently long since discontinued and the tech DL for the series only has the specs listed on epay, but at least you can email their SUPPORT and maybe get the Xmax from them, though I'll be surprised if you get anything remotely accurate.

Note too that this basket design will cause audible noise at high excursion, so you'll need some sort of rear absorber to 'soak' it up if they turn out to be otherwise acceptable in an OB app.

GM
Old 4th December 2008, 03:04 PM   #6
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

For about the same money you can get a pair of Eminence Beta 15 which have suitable OB specs, from Blue Aran.
Old 4th December 2008, 03:11 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
The high Qts and high efficiency with a pretty low fs caught my eye.
The sensitivty calculated from the T/S-parameters comes back at 89 dB/W/m instead of 96 dB/W/m.

Best regards
Old 4th December 2008, 03:31 PM   #8
GM is online now GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Oops! Forgot to check it, implies either a high inductance and/or < 1 m measurement distance since the data sheet only states 96 dB at 1 W.

GM
Old 4th December 2008, 04:43 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Thanks alot for the replies gentleman you have all made some great points that I will give plenty thought to. I have looked at the Emminence bass drivers but they do not have a very low fs for such a large driver; but then, I will probably not get very low (<30Hz) bass with the open baffle design anyway. Getting rid of boxy colouration is the aim.(I have Linn Isobariks!!!!) However, they do have the efficiency that is needed and they are also a good price. 18" ers would be nice but the costs get much higher very quickly, so not unless I get rich or lucky. I have done quite a bit of researching on open baffle speakers and the more I read, the more I want to hear them.
What I have in mind is; ribbon tweeter for 9 kHz and up (avoiding the NEO 8`s 12kHz peak, then using these down to 500-750Hz or thereabouts and then the bass driver for the rest.
Of course I know it will take quite abit of tweaking to get them anywhere near,"right". But it will be a great fun trying!
Just need to settle on the right bass driver. Any more comments would be greatfully read.
Cheers.

Hide this!Advertise here!