Aurasound NS15 reference subwoofers, ported or sealed? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th November 2008, 06:40 AM   #1
thadman is offline thadman  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Aurasound NS15 reference subwoofers, ported or sealed?

I'm compiling a reference system (sound quality, spl) involving the RAAL 140-15D ribbon tweeter, AE TD6.5M, and AE TD15M. They will need to be augmented by subwoofers on the bottom end to ease excursion demands on the midbass.

I purchased four Aurasound NS15s a while back and plan on taking advantage of their capabilities They will be used for Music, Video Games, and Movies...they will really have to assume the role of Jack of all trades.

Output goals:
bass: 130dB transient, 120dB continuous. I do not want to fear blowing these drivers.
full-range: 120dB transient, 110dB continuous

Crossover:
LPF 80hz
HPF 20hz

Room: Medium

Any recommendations? Remember this is a reference system and they will have to keep up all the way down to 20hz with a TD15M crossed at 80hz.
Old 14th November 2008, 06:57 AM   #2
BHTX is offline BHTX  United States
diyAudio Member

Wait a minute.. u mean you bought 4 of the NS15's.. like those from Madisound for $720 each? WHY??
Old 14th November 2008, 07:07 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Yes, I have four Aurasound NS15s. I am using these drivers because I'm compiling a "reference" system, I feel they are some of the best drivers available assuming they are used within their limits and should have no trouble reaching 80hz with low distortion.
Old 14th November 2008, 07:24 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Ever stop to think that perhaps lowering the xo point, maybe even using a slightly shallower slope, and completely doing away with the highpass filter might improve things significantly? On top of all that, with the same amount of money you spent on those four 15's, I know of eighteen 18's you could have gotten instead, but just four of those would have done the job nicely.. just to put it in perspective.
Old 14th November 2008, 07:44 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BHTX
Ever stop to think that perhaps lowering the xo point, maybe even using a slightly shallower slope, and completely doing away with the highpass filter might improve things significantly? On top of all that, with the same amount of money you spent on those four 15's, I know of eighteen 18's you could have gotten instead, but just four of those would have done the job nicely.. just to put it in perspective.
I will be running the TD15M sealed and I would like to keep excursion under control at extremely high output levels, lowering the crossover point is not an option. BTW I'm well aware of the plethora of drivers available for bass reproduction, I don't need to be lectured. These are the drivers that have been chosen, as I already own them.
Old 14th November 2008, 08:12 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by thadman
I don't need to be lectured.
Then why's this thread here?

Anyway, if you're really planning to blast music/movies that loud so frequently, I suppose ported would be the way to go.. along with its highpass filter, highish steep xover point, very high delay, and terrible transient response.

Just remember, you'll likely sacrifice quite a bit to gain that few extra dB of headroom. But, you already knew that.

Have fun.
Old 14th November 2008, 10:44 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to usa_satriani
Going sealed with Bessel quality Factor would be a good idea.

Then you would need a pro Eq or Velodyne SMS to EQ the response.

You will also need a huge Amp like one or two Crown K2 or Crest 8001.

Greg.
Old 14th November 2008, 02:01 PM   #8
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by thadman

I will be running the TD15M sealed ......

Hi,

So what is the point of the question ?

/sreten.
Old 14th November 2008, 06:20 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sreten

Hi,

So what is the point of the question ?

/sreten.
The TD15M is the midbass, the Aurasound NS15 is the subwoofer
Old 14th November 2008, 06:38 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BHTX

Then why's this thread here?

Anyway, if you're really planning to blast music/movies that loud so frequently, I suppose ported would be the way to go.. along with its highpass filter, highish steep xover point, very high delay, and terrible transient response.

Just remember, you'll likely sacrifice quite a bit to gain that few extra dB of headroom. But, you already knew that.

Have fun.
The drivers have already been determined, this is not a best driver thread. I am asking about the application, thats why I don't need to be lectured on drivers since it would be an exercise in futility. Thank You.

Hide this!Advertise here!