Aurasound NS15 reference subwoofers, ported or sealed?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm compiling a reference system (sound quality, spl) involving the RAAL 140-15D ribbon tweeter, AE TD6.5M, and AE TD15M. They will need to be augmented by subwoofers on the bottom end to ease excursion demands on the midbass.

I purchased four Aurasound NS15s a while back and plan on taking advantage of their capabilities They will be used for Music, Video Games, and Movies...they will really have to assume the role of Jack of all trades.

Output goals:
bass: 130dB transient, 120dB continuous. I do not want to fear blowing these drivers.
full-range: 120dB transient, 110dB continuous

Crossover:
LPF 80hz
HPF 20hz

Room: Medium

Any recommendations? Remember this is a reference system and they will have to keep up all the way down to 20hz with a TD15M crossed at 80hz.

Yes, I have four Aurasound NS15s. I am using these drivers because I'm compiling a "reference" system, I feel they are some of the best drivers available assuming they are used within their limits and should have no trouble reaching 80hz with low distortion.

Ever stop to think that perhaps lowering the xo point, maybe even using a slightly shallower slope, and completely doing away with the highpass filter might improve things significantly? On top of all that, with the same amount of money you spent on those four 15's, I know of eighteen 18's you could have gotten instead, but just four of those would have done the job nicely.. just to put it in perspective. :)

BHTX said:
Ever stop to think that perhaps lowering the xo point, maybe even using a slightly shallower slope, and completely doing away with the highpass filter might improve things significantly? On top of all that, with the same amount of money you spent on those four 15's, I know of eighteen 18's you could have gotten instead, but just four of those would have done the job nicely.. just to put it in perspective. :)

I will be running the TD15M sealed and I would like to keep excursion under control at extremely high output levels, lowering the crossover point is not an option. BTW I'm well aware of the plethora of drivers available for bass reproduction, I don't need to be lectured. These are the drivers that have been chosen, as I already own them.

thadman said:
I don't need to be lectured.

Then why's this thread here? :confused:

Anyway, if you're really planning to blast music/movies that loud so frequently, I suppose ported would be the way to go.. along with its highpass filter, highish steep xover point, very high delay, and terrible transient response.

Just remember, you'll likely sacrifice quite a bit to gain that few extra dB of headroom. But, you already knew that. ;)

Have fun. :)

BHTX said:

Then why's this thread here? :confused:

Anyway, if you're really planning to blast music/movies that loud so frequently, I suppose ported would be the way to go.. along with its highpass filter, highish steep xover point, very high delay, and terrible transient response.

Just remember, you'll likely sacrifice quite a bit to gain that few extra dB of headroom. But, you already knew that. ;)

Have fun. :)

The drivers have already been determined, this is not a best driver thread. I am asking about the application, thats why I don't need to be lectured on drivers since it would be an exercise in futility. Thank You.

Thadman,

If you can give each driver 800-1000 watts each, 2 1/2 to 3 cubes each sealed will give you well over 120 db from 20hz on up & it will be "loafing along" most of the time.:bigeyes: I'm no expert here, but I have a pair of Avalanche 15's in a similar congiguration & it is down right fun!

thadman said:

The TD15M has an xmax of 6mm, it will require 12mm of throw to achieve 120dB at 80hz and 36mm of throw to achieve 120dB at 50hz. Even with two, we would not reach my output goals and still greatly exceed xmax.

Well, you already know my suggestion (for everyone else to pick apart, I've reposted it below, with some changes to reflect your responses on DIYMA) but you're missing something. At 80Hz, you will not have one driver playing, but between five (1x TD15 + 4x NS15) and eight (I don't know if you're really doing it right and making identical LCR speakers) drivers playing. So 120dB is no big deal at all, and there's no need to compromise on upper bass fidelity by high-passing your mains. (And a compromise is exactly what an extra high-pass in the circuit is.)

Also, just a thought on the power. Monster Cable uses this woofer with the Dayton 1000W Class G amp (from all appearances) in their their M-Design Eleganza Godfather subwoofer. So two more of those Crown amps might not be a bad idea. Alternately, co-locate two in a corner and employ the other two as single subs along the Geddes model, use one amp each for the corner-loaded drivers and a third for the broadband subs. (The broadband subs needn't be as capable as the main sub; my system is more unbalanced than what I suggest, with a Maelstrom-X powered by 2kW in the corner and Aura NS12-794=4A's powered by 500W each, all in closed cabinets.)

Also, what are you using for EQ?

PS: My suggestion, reposted:

Another Aura guy, excellent! I love my NS12-794-4A's.

I would go with four 120L sealed enclosures, for a Qtc right around 0.577.

I think with such a setup you'll easily meet your output goals, especially if you seriously rethink your crossover scheme. There's no reason for a high-pass at all on the TD15M's. Just seal them and let them roll off naturally. If my comparatively little 12" Tannoy Dual Concentrics don't strain when thus used, I doubt the much better Lambda woofer would. (I wish Nick and John would do a coax based on the TD15. I'd be all over those like a Scottish cashmere sweater.) Likewise, I would up the lowpass on the NS15's to maybe 120Hz, and spread them around the room Geddes-style: one in a corner, one or two along the walls far away from the corner, one out a little bit, and one of the wall ones above the centerline of the room. And obviously, with that much cone area and sealed boxes, no need at all for a highpass on the subs.

Pallas said:
for everyone else to pick apart

:) Okay..

Pallas said:
So 120dB is no big deal at all, and there's no need to compromise on upper bass fidelity by high-passing your mains. (And a compromise is exactly what an extra high-pass in the circuit is.)

This is exactly the point I was trying to get across.

Pallas said:
the Geddes model

I've recently realized this can work very well if done correctly. I still actually like to keep them in stereo though, especially the "broadband subs". Use as many sources of LF as possible, in different locations. If it was more convenient for me, I'd actually have subs not only in the front lower corners of the room, but also up high near the ceiling. It'd look a little odd though, that's for sure. Four separate subs per side in different locations would be nice, lol. Anyway, as long as there's a way to control the lowpass, EQ, and phase on each of them, very good results can be obtained.

Pallas said:
There's no reason for a high-pass at all on the TD15M's. Just seal them and let them roll off naturally.

:D :up:

Pallas said:
(I wish Nick and John would do a coax based on the TD15. I'd be all over those like a Scottish cashmere sweater.)

OMG you just took the words right out of my mouth. I've had the same exact thoughts recently. TBH, I couldn't care less about his new puny 6.5 mids, or anything besides his TD15M and waveguide.. but if he'd simply take all that effort and put it into the worlds greatest 15" dual concentric style coaxial driver, I'd be all over it too. With how bad the Geddes style DIY with waveguides and quality 15's is lacking, it's lacking even more with coaxials, and always has been. We need a good design by someone who we know has done everything they know to get the best from it, including attempts to overcome some of the problems introduced to the HF section in coaxial drivers. Oh wow I'd be all over it. Someone should start a thread and try to gather everyone else on the net who'd care for such a driver just the same.

Pallas said:
And obviously, with that much cone area and sealed boxes, no need at all for a highpass on the subs.

:D :up:

Pallas said:

Well, you already know my suggestion (for everyone else to pick apart, I've reposted it below, with some changes to reflect your responses on DIYMA) but you're missing something. At 80Hz, you will not have one driver playing, but between five (1x TD15 + 4x NS15) and eight (I don't know if you're really doing it right and making identical LCR speakers) drivers playing. So 120dB is no big deal at all, and there's no need to compromise on upper bass fidelity by high-passing your mains. (And a compromise is exactly what an extra high-pass in the circuit is.)

Also, just a thought on the power. Monster Cable uses this woofer with the Dayton 1000W Class G amp (from all appearances) in their their M-Design Eleganza Godfather subwoofer. So two more of those Crown amps might not be a bad idea. Alternately, co-locate two in a corner and employ the other two as single subs along the Geddes model, use one amp each for the corner-loaded drivers and a third for the broadband subs. (The broadband subs needn't be as capable as the main sub; my system is more unbalanced than what I suggest, with a Maelstrom-X powered by 2kW in the corner and Aura NS12-794=4A's powered by 500W each, all in closed cabinets.)

Also, what are you using for EQ?

PS: My suggestion, reposted:

Another Aura guy, excellent! I love my NS12-794-4A's.

I would go with four 120L sealed enclosures, for a Qtc right around 0.577.

I think with such a setup you'll easily meet your output goals, especially if you seriously rethink your crossover scheme. There's no reason for a high-pass at all on the TD15M's. Just seal them and let them roll off naturally. If my comparatively little 12" Tannoy Dual Concentrics don't strain when thus used, I doubt the much better Lambda woofer would. (I wish Nick and John would do a coax based on the TD15. I'd be all over those like a Scottish cashmere sweater.) Likewise, I would up the lowpass on the NS15's to maybe 120Hz, and spread them around the room Geddes-style: one in a corner, one or two along the walls far away from the corner, one out a little bit, and one of the wall ones above the centerline of the room. And obviously, with that much cone area and sealed boxes, no need at all for a highpass on the subs.

I've got a Behringer DCX2496 lying around, so currently thats what I plan on using for equalization. I fear it may not be enough though as this project expands, as it will also be slaved with the mains crossovers.

BTW, thats a very intriguing concept you've outlined. The amount of displacement I'll have at midbass frequencies will be absolutely insane as there will be over 4500cm^2 of surface area between 60hz and 120hz and is an excellent way to take advantage of the Aurasounds ultra low inductance and super rigid cone. I'll have to do some research into it. Shouldn't the subwoofers pathlengths be placed within 1/4WL of each other but for practicality 1/2WL of each other as is used in an "array" arrangement.

thadman said:
The drivers have already been determined, this is not a best driver thread. I am asking about the application, thats why I don't need to be lectured on drivers since it would be an exercise in futility. Thank You.

:rolleyes: That post of mine that you quoted had absolutely nothing to do with drivers. Never said it was a best driver thread, I couldn't care less about subwoofer drivers, and I already laid off the ridiculous amount of money you wasted on them after my 2nd post.

Instead of being so ignorant and taking pride in what you think you already know, I think you should consider setting your BS non-existent web ego aside for a moment, and simply listen to those who've already been down the same road long ago. After all, you are the thread starter, searching for the opinions and advice of others.

BHTX said:

:rolleyes: That post of mine that you quoted had absolutely nothing to do with drivers. Never said it was a best driver thread, I couldn't care less about subwoofer drivers, and I already laid off the ridiculous amount of money you wasted on them after my 2nd post.

I am looking for advice on the alignment and application of these drivers. The post I quoted has you attacking my decision to purchase these woofers and suggesting that there are other solutions available. Thats fine if you think there are better options, but I already have possession of these woofers, so going into the discussion of them would only be an academic exercise. It doesn't really matter anyway, lets get back to the focus of this thread.

BHTX said:

Instead of being so ignorant and taking pride in what you think you already know, I think you should consider setting your BS non-existent web ego aside for a moment, and simply listen to those who've already been down the same road long ago. After all, you are the thread starter, searching for the opinions and advice of others.

Sorry, but the only comment I made that was directed towards you was relating to my choice of driver. I consider myself, as well as a good portion of this forum, fully capable of making an informed decision relative to purchasing a specific loudspeaker unit as it is something very fundamental and only takes some brief research to come to a conclusion regarding those available drivers and their capabilities.

I am however interested in the forums knowledge and experience regarding alignments and applications of these woofers, and thus we have the topic of this thread.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.