2x18" ... What should I do with them? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th November 2008, 08:07 PM   #1
KI is offline KI  Norway
diyAudio Member

Default 2x18" ... What should I do with them?

Hi!

Now, the winter is upon me and I need to do some fun project to keep me entertained.

This summer, I picked up 2 x 18" PA drivers at an extremely low cost, so I just thought; why not?

The plan is using them as subs... (duh). I've read from the manufacturer that they will do -3 @ 33hz in a 200liter enclosure with 2* 15cm ø 35cm (length) tubes.

Details about the drivers can be found HERE.

My question is; Is there anyone that have a good idea of how to utilize these drivers? 200liters bass reflex seems .... ordinary.... kinda booring...; I'd very much like to try horn, but I don't have the experience and knowledge...

Any ideas?

Thank you.
Old 10th November 2008, 08:21 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I can't help but be reminded of EL-PIPE-O: http://www.passdiy.com/pdf/el-pipe-o.pdf

You could call it Eltek Pipe-O.
Old 10th November 2008, 08:32 PM   #3
KI is offline KI  Norway
diyAudio Member

Hahaha!! Eltek-PIPE-O could be a lot of fun... I really liked the idea of "small footprint" as well..., but ...; they may be too difficult to handle... And my roof is not that big. Anyway; quality stuff
Old 10th November 2008, 09:32 PM   #4
simon5 is offline simon5  Canada
diyAudio Member

I suggest to try HornResp.

http://mywebsite.bigpond.com/dmcbean/

Then model a TH, Tapped Horn... lots of fun !
Old 10th November 2008, 09:38 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Hello KI, It's possible to make a variation on el-pipe-o, but with a 180 deg. bend to make it half as tall. The foot print will be around double, but it will work.

Peace,

Dave
Old 12th November 2008, 01:13 PM   #6
KI is offline KI  Norway
diyAudio Member

Hm...
I tried HornResp, but found it rather complicated. I've been using winISD for other "regular" speakers... And it was quite easy to use.

Is there any basic "howto" for the HornResp application available somewhere? I have the 20.10 versjon.
I understand there should be a wizard located somewhere in the program...

(yes, I'm an idiot).
Old 12th November 2008, 01:18 PM   #7
MaVo is offline MaVo  Germany
diyAudio Member

How to use hornresp: read the tapped horn thread.
But those drivers look like they will need very big THs, in the 500L+ per box area. Not the best specs for a TH. Too much VAS too small FS and xmax is small as well. Somehow these look like "midbass in closed box" type of driver to me.
Old 12th November 2008, 01:45 PM   #8
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Hi,
these 18inch drivers seem ideal for a vented box.
Although 200L (100L/driver) is a bit small at first guess.
Try a range between 200L and 400L and tunings between 20Hz and 30Hz. WINisd pro is great for this.

A tapped horn is going to be big.
A conventional horn is going to be enormous.

edit:
just noticed the box recommendations at the bottom of the spec sheet.
Looks as though the box needs to be even bigger than 400L maybe going towards 600L for the pair. But you will need to adjust tuning to get the best out the Xmax over a sensible range of frequencies.
Old 12th November 2008, 11:59 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

If you think a horn is too big then try a sonotube. IMHO they are a little difficult and are a great addition to any car or home system.
Old 13th November 2008, 12:55 AM   #10
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

If it were me, a 90 liter sealed box for each driver, stuffed and maybe even sub-chambered. This will give a Qtc of about 0.7 and an f3 of about 70Hz. Now make use of the high efficiency, decent travel, high power handling, and large surface area and electronically EQ it to 20Hz.

Hide this!Advertise here!