How good is Peerless 850136 as sub driver?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I intend to use two 8" woofers per channel ( two in left front and two in right front) to handle frequencies lower than 300 Hz. I have space of about 0.75 cu ft per driver and will LT eq them to get a response so that there is no need of sub. The usage will be HT as well as music.

How good are Peerless 850136 for this duty? Will I miss the sub?

Thanks,
Goldy

hi sreten

u try to discuss me...u..u..u..die..die..LOL. u don't know that i was disappear because i was try to practice the kung fu fighting.u are die..yaks...yaks.LOL my all guys there is nothing happen!!LOL :D i only have our happy with my guy. ok sreten i read again and make me know that he want to do.at first i was reverse the meaning that made me not understand at all.

thanks guy/:D

goldyrathore said:
I like deep clean bass at moderate levels. I mostly listen to rock. My room size is 12 by 20 feet.
I assume that the performance of woofers will be ok for music but am not sure about their performance in HT setup where higher SPLs are required.

goldyrathore double woofer for one channel. it's very much bass in your room(12*20). 2 channels have low frequency increase 6 db.

:) /TW

This is my subjective point of view: If you listen at very low levels, they will be ok. The louder you want, the higher will the lowest possible frequency before distortion or driver damage be. I use four 12 inch woofers in closed boxes with 8mm xmax and i can barely hear a 20hz wave at full excursion. This said, you could just build it and add a sub later, if you feel like having more SPL. By adding a highpass to the 8 inch drivers, you can drive them to higher levels.

With rock music, you have the benefit that it usually has not much content below 40hz, which makes it easier for the woofers.

Thawach said:

2 channels have low frequency increase 6 db.

Depends on how the two 'sub' woofer channels are wired. If all the woofers are driven from a mono system as is usually the case in HT apps, then +6 dB for each doubling of sub systems ('sub' woofer +amp) since input voltage is everywhere the same, but if driven as a stereo pair it's only +3 dB since all you're doing is summing SPLs.

GM

goldyrathore said:

I like deep clean bass at moderate levels.

Well, by my definition of 'clean', 'deep', 'moderate', if you wire each channel's woofers in parallel connected to a separate amp and drive the amps from a HT LFE channel, then assuming that each amp has at least 300 'clean' watts/4 ohms, a LRT ~flat to 30 Hz should be loud enough for most music and movies at moderate listening/viewing distances and/or an apartment where close neighbors are a consideration. For music and movies with significant VLF content though, some protection against excessive VC heating may be required.

GM

I recently found two of these in my basement while digging around for something else. For the life of me I cannot remember why I bought them. Anyways I need to do something with them.

Would these work in a tapped horn? Is a strong 30hz possible out of these? Maybe with both in the same tapped horn?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.