"Phantoms of the Organ" Halloween bash

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well there, fans of the bassic. Last night was Toronto's annual Halloween organ bash. Metropolitan United Church, largest organ in Canada, a Casavant five-manual, 121 rank, Aeolian-Skinner-like instrument with electric activation. Yes, Toronto also has at least one genuine Aeolian-Skinner five-manual instrument as well as fabulous Casavant tracker organs (and for collectors of the unusual, there's a fine Casavant tracker in a synagogue in Buffalo).

It is a scholarship fund raiser event for the Royal Canadian College of Organists and the church and crowd were dressed for Halloween and jolly time was had by all. In addition to the wonderfully loud French organ pieces (well, had to start with the old pot-boiler, Toccata and Fugue in d-minor, of course), there was variations on Alfred Hitchcock's TV theme, and other fun pieces.

A few weeks ago there was a concert of French organ music on another organ with profound reeds that I thought was louder. But I forgot to take my SPL meter. We have a lot of mostly free organ concerts here.

The organist associations have big conventions here and there (here in the spring). Fans of subwoofers ought to think about attending.

1. Almost any city can organize a fun Halloween organ night like that.

2. Peak SPL near the organ was no more than 105 dBC with my old Radio Shack meter, although the meter is possibly a bit bass-impaired. Loud parts were generally in the 90-95 dBC range.

Proved to be a great concert. Lots of brassy French organ music using the reeds a lot. That is a specialty of this organ. Unlistenable unless you are 2/3 back in the church.

Lots of free organ concerts in Toronto and in many cities. A lot to be said for exposing yourself to "the real thing" if you are trying to woof at home.

Having said that, I think it has been many years since people last used to think that the criterion for playing recorded music at home was that it was supposed to be like having Carnegie Hall in your living room or some gibberish like that.

Never the less, a lot of folks with great thumping one-note "tuned" bass (or transmission lines posturing as horns) think that is what bass is really like.

Speaking of loud organs -- the Organ Historical Society is having their 2009 Convention in Cleveland from July 5th through July 9th -- not too far for you Ontarioans as one of the programs is in Toledo, another in Oberlin (at the Conservatory) -- Cleveland had a large organ building industry at the turn of the century --

The program is July 5 to July 9 -- concludes with a concert on the 1929 Skinner in Severance Hall.

Here's a link to the program:

http://www.organsociety.org/2009/registration/RegBrochure-1.pdf

The Wannamaker Organ was featured in Philadelphia today.

"Phantoms of the Organ" 2010

Friday night at 10, Oct 29, latest re-incarnation, about the 7th annual event. Largest organ in Canada, 8200 pipes.

They move the console to the middle of the "stage" so you can watch the organists play - it must be electro-pneumatic with a long cord. They played a medley of Phantom of the Opera, Thriller (from a deceased scary chap named Jackson), and other pieces with no visible organist from some remote place - sure looks and sounds scary

Organists and audience in costumes. Candles, smoke, rude noises. Usual big crowd of several hundred.

A few peaks near 100 dBC with usual peaks around 95 dBC. Great deal of fancy pedal work. Since a Radio Shack SPL meter is shy a 1.5 to 3 dB at the lowest freq., reality is a bit louder.

Usual scary music... but performance of over-played old warhorse, T&F in d minor, was noteworthy by Matthew Coons. Also Louis Vierne, PDQ Bach, Rumba (nice, by Pierre Cholley), Arabian Dance from the Nutcracker, and wrapping up with a stirring performance of Boellmann's familiar Toccata from Suite Gothique (student performer in fairy costume with pink tutu).

And a good time was had by all.

Pretty good for a big organ.

Casavants freres of St. Hyacinthe Quebec (in the countryside, not too far from Montreal, got stranded there with wife on a motorcycle trip during Hurricane George), also make wonderful trackers. Deer Park United (a few blocks from home) is my favorite - about as different as could be.

Pretty good for a big organ.

Heh - about a week before I saw it, I toured the Boardwalk Hall organs in Atlantic City. Canada's largest sort of had some of the intimidation factor taken off after that.

We were in Boardwalk Hall for three hours, and still only saw about half of the Midmer-Losh. It just goes on and on and on. Of course, part of that three hours was getting stuck in the freight elevator for 30 minutes...

I have recordings of several of the organs that are the "world's largest."

If I recall, the Atlantic City and some others are impressive in their own large ways but as far as musical enjoyment with 10 sec reverb times, they are best for enduring classics such as the pokey "Sheep may safety graze..."

For big sound, the greatest big sound I am aware of is the Aeolian-Skinner in St. John the Divine, worlds largest stone gothic church, they claim. There is a stop called "the state trumpeter" with pipes horizontal under the rose window at the far (west) end. On stuff like Jeremiah Clark's march, no sound like it as the wave works its way down the hall. God knows how to play it with that kind of delay to the console.

In Toronto, the organ at Yorkminster Baptist is the King for reeds and the show-off French literature.

Actually, reverb time wasn't that bad at Boardwalk Hall - it's had a lot of work done on that issue. I'd say it's around 5 seconds. The seating is quite a bit different than when the last recordings of the organ were done... it's in a tiered horseshoe shape now which has an effect on reverb. Of course, the Midmer-Losh may be louder now too, the way they've got the seating.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I didn't get to hear it while I was there to say for sure what effect the reverb has on the organ. The whole swell division was missing, out for restoration, so they wouldn't fire it up. It was cool standing in the half empty stage left chamber looking up and up and up at the distant ceiling.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The real surprise was that the organ was in much better shape than I was expecting. I was dreading the sight of crushed and mangled pipes, but didn't see much of that. Just a lot of dust from not getting any attention over the years.

I have Michael Murray's recording at St. John. That trumpet stop is magnificent. I need to see that organ in person too.

Last edited:
Last night, another fun dress-up Halloween organ event. I've attached the program. We sat mid-hall (quite good but couldn't see the clowning on stage as well). Measured around 92 dBC at loudest.

Biggest organ in Canada, they claim. Since the manuals are electrically connected, they moved the keyboard to centre of the church front. Maybe next year I'll get some pictures.

The special treat is that they try to put the most thundering organ music with the most and lowest pedals on the program. So a Halloween treat as well as an audiophile treat.

BTW, those variations on Amor Satis Est by Paul Ayres is "All you need is love..." by the Feb Four. Audience loved it and laughed a lot.

My "take away message" is still the same: you can set up a similar fun Halloween organ bash in your town too.

Ben

Attachments

• Phantoms p1.jpg
    Phantoms p1.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 299
  • Phantoms p2.jpg
    Phantoms p2.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 298
Last edited:
Best Phantoms of the Organ yet! Big crowd. Entertaining costumes (I'll post a picture of mine one of these days). Held as always at Metropolitan United, largest organ in Canada. Pedals start to finish. Couldn't ask for more bass. (You've seen that old but illuminating cartoon about the HiFi addict who has an urge to twiddle with his sound control knobs at live concerts?)

BTW, the event is free but contributions to the Royal Canadian College of Organists scholarship fund are solicited.

Included T&F in d-minor (of course) and wound up with Boellmann's roof-raising Toccata*. Also Gounod's March of the Marionettes (Alfred Hitchock theme) and a piece for organ four hands (played in high heels). Special treat this year was a sung duet from Phantom of the Opera.

Ben
*Actually, another organ in town is more fabulous for French organ music with the loud reeds: Yorkminster Park Baptist. A week ago, we heard a complete run of Frank's Grande Piece Heroique. What a treat!!!

Attachments

• Phantoms of the Organ 2012.jpg
    Phantoms of the Organ 2012.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 252
Last edited:
If you missed it, eat your heart out*! But you can attend next year.

The evening was among the best ever, with more pedals and less spooky chit-chat. Just as well. The Vierne Tocatta and the, OF COURSE, played every year, the Suite Gothic, shook the rafters (if there were any rafters).

I'm a big fan of Frank Bridge (his "The Sea" influenced Britten to become a composer as a child) and his Adagio was charming, even had low pedals... like all the pieces.

"Evocation II" was contemporary - but nice and loud.

Unless I am mistaken, seems this organ has some of the big pipes in a swell box. Is that usual?

Big crowd - over a thousand, I'd guess. But I was too busy in Row 2 eyeballing my SPL meter. Performers and many in the crowd were in Halloween attire. (See my next post.)

Now, my Klipsch bass horn can play as loud but certainly not as low.

Ben
*Is that a ghoood Halloween greeting?

Attachments

• program.png
    program.png
    19 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
Some pix. Dark, busy, jolly, hard to get good pictures.

Oh right, you want to know about SPL?

Ummm, seems my Radio Shack meter reads on loud parts about 98 dBC. But the lab correction at 20 Hz is 15 dB and at 30 Hz it is 10 dB, maybe 7 dB at 40. So, maybe you should add 12 dB to that peak*. Dunno.

B.
*Using REW software, you can program the correction in. But these measurements are just with the SPL meter.

Attachments

• costume 230758.jpg
    costume 230758.jpg
    209.2 KB · Views: 83
  • organ plus.jpg
    organ plus.jpg
    232.2 KB · Views: 86
  • up close.jpg
    up close.jpg
    395 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.