Volume of driver and plate amp? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th October 2008, 01:54 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Volume of driver and plate amp?

Is there a usual rule of thumb for the volume of the plate amp and driver on a sub? I'm using WinISD. I can calculate it (I calculate the volume of irregular lakes as part of my job) but I'm....um....lazy.
Old 29th October 2008, 08:39 AM   #2
simon5 is offline simon5  Canada
diyAudio Member

There's no rule of thumb AFAIK...

You can approximate it by calculating that a cone volume is a third of what a cylinder of same height IIRC then adding some for basket and magnet...

You can seal your woofer into a strong plastic bag and dump it in water and measure displacement...

For the plate amp, it depends on the plate amp, some have an open back and take minimum space that you could approximate to barely none, some are closed back with a big rectangular metal plate, so easy to mesure volume.

Good luck !

Hide this!Advertise here!