PUSH-PULL SONOTUBE vs. TWO SONOTUBES?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am just getting started with speaker building, so my knowledge on the subject is limited for now. I am planning on getting two 18" maelstrom-x subs from diycable. What i can't decide on is if I should build one huge push-pull sonosub, utilizing both subs in one tube. Or if i should build two separate tubes for the subs.
I really like the idea of the push-pull inspired by this site..

http://www.teresaudio.com/haven/subs/subs.html (don't know if this is how to attach a link)

I will most likely be getting two more subs later one, but for now, does anyone know which of the two will produce better SQL?

I would recommend 2 different tubes. As if you have one driver backwards (like in the link) it is more prone to damage. On the other hand, I would just leave it and add ported enclosure around the exposed woofer to make the negative responses a little better and more tuned on that particular sub. Or if you want both good low-midrange and bass you can make a bandpass enclosure around the exposed subwoofer. It all really depends on what you want to get out of it.

DorinD said:
I'm definitevly for push-pull mode for any ultra low bass system. Otherway you have to fight alot with box mecanical vibration which aggravates as much as you increase excursion and/or use havyer driver's membrane.

Not only box vibrations, but also harmonic distortion is reduced significally, much like horn loading does - at the moment I have four old 8" 20€ fullrangers in a push-pull as a temporary bass/low mids (didn't sound very good in upper mids/treble) - in room they can do >100 dB @ 27 Hz, >110 dB @ 60 Hz and above with no audible distortion.

Thawach said:

technofreak i only agree with this QUOTE for push-pull. but the boxs that i see i don'i agree.:)

Well, big driver with big X-max and Mms + relatively light eclosure = bass cab possibly moving around in room. Putting 2 drivers on opposite sides of the enclosure will get rid of this problem. Or making box heavy :)

Though my personal preference is to get two drivers as close as possible by making a manifold-like enclosure where one driver's magnet is around 10 cm from other driver's dust cap - so that the push-pull works to higher frequencies. And also cancels the "walking bass" possibility. Minus side would be possible hump in response around 150...200 Hz.

Some time ago I built a strait TL subwoofer using an heavy PVC tube (about 70kilos and 2.5meters) and 2x12inch woofers in izobaric config. (not push-pull).
It worked fine but was switched to a bandpass because of WAF and space constraints.

What I want to say in fact is: for some specific frecvencies (like 20Hz) all that animal of 70 kilos just jumped up and down about 3-4cm and maybe taked off if wasn't fixed on the place. And seeing that I promised myself that if I build again such a bass monster again, ever never make it unbalanced, only push-pull.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.