Live sound specific Tapped Horn thread...

It sort of makes sense to possibly start a tapped horn thread specifically for live sound. Since the requirements are more of sheer volume, compromised frequency response, and most of all portability.

:cool: Ahhh.... isn't that why I started this thread?:rolleyes:
I take it you mean a "Live Sound Tapped Horn Plans" thread where only the finished projects are???

Is there any reason you quoted my very first post in this thread????

Acoustic Elegance AV12H-4:

FS: 24Hz
Qms: 4.5
Vas: 69L
Cms: .22mm/N
Mms: 198g
Rms: 6.77
Xmax: 23mm
Xmech: 32mm
Sd: 471sqcm
Vd p-p: 2.16L
Qes: .26
Re: 2.7ohm
Le: .28mH
Z: 4ohm
Bl: 17.6Tm
Pe: 1000W
Qts: .25
1WSPL: 87.7db
2.83V: 92.4dB

Output at Xmax:

Why did nobody jump on this? Did I miss something? If not, I'd like to build it, but would need a sketch-up/plan.

It'd be nice to have a response overlay of jbell's TH, Screamer's TH and this @ 1W and @rms or max safe capability (xmax limit, power limit, etc.). Anyone feelin up to it?

Why did nobody jump on this? Did I miss something? If not, I'd like to build it, but would need a sketch-up/plan.

It'd be nice to have a response overlay of jbell's TH, Screamer's TH and this @ 1W and @rms or max safe capability (xmax limit, power limit, etc.). Anyone feelin up to it?

Just going by the FS it would be best suited for a sub 20Hz TH which would be HUGE!!!!

voor%20crescendo.jpg

the measurments are 78cm*90cm*60 cm outside.
need to fine tune this design.
i took away the middle board as you can see.i dont think i need it.
if you want to bild this let me know,ill work out the details.
note i have only modelled this ,not bild it .
anyone else want to comment on this design,feel free:)

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

the measurments are 78cm*90cm*60 cm outside.
need to fine tune this design.
i took away the middle board as you can see.i dont think i need it.
if you want to bild this let me know,ill work out the details.
note i have only modelled this ,not bild it .
anyone else want to comment on this design,feel free:)

Is there anything that limits this driver from performing at its rms rated power (1200W)? Sorry if I'm missing the obvious - I'm still learning and feel a little behind the 'curve'. This design looks good for only being 400L / 14cu/ft.

Justin

Load it into HR, then load the driver's Xmax and power rating into the max spl tool and have it calc a Xmax limited plot to see what its theoretical low distortion power limit is, then change Xmax to Xlim or Xmech to see how much it theoretically takes to bottom out to give a slightly conservative range of operation.

GM

Is there anything that limits this driver from performing at its rms rated power (1200W)? Sorry if I'm missing the obvious - I'm still learning and feel a little behind the 'curve'. This design looks good for only being 400L / 14cu/ft.

Justin
wel this is moddeled with the b&c 18"you sugested.
it reaches x-max @ about 500 watts in theory.
the bms 18n850v2 wil run out of x-m @800 watts

you can get an extra 2~3 db if you make it 600 ltr:)

Furybox build

Hello everyone. This is my first post since I joined this site a few weeks ago. Two months ago I started to build a sub from that other site. A week or two after starting my build thread, the site admin locked my thread because of my unorthodox build methods. It was then that I started searching for other opinions on the real world use of his designs and found a pro sound site which wasn't quite as enamored with the performance of his cabs as his minions, specifically the response curve. A link on the pro site led me here and Screamers long TH thread. I've read both his and Jbells TH thread several times, soaking up as much info as I could, and I can't thank everyone who posted there enough for the knowledge I've picked up here, and your willingness to share ideas with others. When I discovered my recently purchased 3015LF's could still be used in Screamer's design, I dropped the other cab and built his. I finished the first one yesterday, broke in the 3015 last night and did an spl test on it this afternoon.
There is a couple discrepancies in the plan dimentions, so I guestimated as best I could. Hopefully, these results don't point to a build flaw. The test was done outdoors on asphalt pavement, using a ratshack digital meter, on the ground ,at 10 meters and 28.3 volts.

My QSC amp has a rolloff set at 50hz, so that probably accounts for the drop in db a 40 hz. I didn't want to disable it for fear of frying the speaker with the sine wave. Screamer made some reference to that possibility somewhere in his thread, I believe. So anyway, here are the results:

40hz 96db
45hz 102db
50hz 101db
55hz 97db
60hz 96db
65hz 100db
70hz 101db
75hz 105db
80hz 106db
85hz 102db
90hz 101db
95hz 100db
100hz 104db
105hz 105db
110hz 110db
115hz 111db
120hz 107db.

Opinions on the results would be greatly appreciated. I hope to be able to make my own contributions in the future. This is really a great community. Guess it's time to download Hornresp and learn how to use it. I've got the bug!

Regards,
Jeff

p.s. f anyone wants pics I can do that after I figure out how to post them.:):):)

Hi Jeff,

When on the Reply page scroll down to the Manage Attachements button: there you can browse to the picture on your computer and upload the picture, or txt, or pdf file. I don't quite know what the file size limitatons are, something like 195kB.

Nice measurements, pictures and build remarks would be great.

Regards,

Here's a couple build pics and notes on things I did differently due too a discrepancy in the plans. (The 3 1/2" board up against the back face is what i'm referring too. seems it should be 4 1'4" for everything to work right.) The finished cabinet is now ready for Duratex. But i'll hold off till the next one is done. I've made it 1 1/2" deeper at the face to accomodate a grill cloth. Will a 3/4" wood frame for the grill cloth affect the responce, since it effectively makes the exit port smaller? :confused:Or does it?
Just for fun, I hooked it up to one channel of my stereo (indoors) and played a cut from the soundtrack of the AVATAR movie. It sounded amazing, but as soon as the drums and low frequency instruments kicked in I jumped out of my chair reaching for the volume control, before the damage started. It was definitely a solid kick in the chest. :) I know these are not supposed to be adequate for home use, but damn!!!....i don't think I could handle any more bass. I'm thinking JBells 24" cubes would fit the bill nicely. I'll knock one out soon and test it.

Attachments

• furybox 1.jpg
    furybox 1.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 891
  • furybox2.jpg
    furybox2.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 872
  • Furybox3 primed.jpg
    Furybox3 primed.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 863
tb46....the spl results are in my first post above.
thanks for the link on that single sheet cab. I don't know how I missed that one. Looks good.

FlipC....yeah ,who knows what is causing it. Did Screamerusa ever post a response graph for his boxes. I looked for it yesterday but couldn't find one.
I'm going to build the next one exactly like his and change that 3 1/2" to 4 1/4" like it should be. (to be mathematically correct I mean). I won't bevel any corners either. then I'll do some testing with and without braces and see what numbers I come up with.

Regards

jeff