LIVE SOUND Specific Tapped Horn thread... - Page 11 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th December 2008, 05:53 PM   #101
iand is offline iand  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Sabbelbacke
Thanx for looking closer than I did You are absolutely right!! Hm, this indeed is strange for Danley to "tweak" his specs.
I suspect he may have finally got just too pi**ed off with other manufacturers over-optimistic specs making his speakers look bad (or at least, less superior) in comparison.

If so this would be a pity (with my engineering hat on) but perhaps sadly inevitable (with my marketing hat on)...

Ian
Old 18th December 2008, 05:56 PM   #102
diyAudio Member

*sigh*
you´re probably right
Old 18th December 2008, 08:15 PM   #103
FlipC is offline FlipC  United States
diyAudio Member

I am looking for specs on Danleys new "Hot Rods"
Dual 12 inch PA speakers. (least the pic looks to be 12" ers)

Funny screamerusa.
I do that allot. Like wtf is going on and then realize it is because I didn't do something.

As a side note.
I started messing around and pulled another db from 50 to 90 Hz on your design.

So I have to ask WHY do you have to have a TH cabinet?
A 1850 horn (or 186 maybe) will work better for this driver combo. Albeit with a lot steeper drop off than the TH but my sim of your box show's that doesn't matter because of Xmax limitation. The 1850 horn is 1 db lower at 40 and 41 Hz but 4 db higher at 50. Plus the wave is allot smoother. Just realized the 1850 and JBells TH for the driver has the same initial response curve. Least from 34 through 50 Hz.
Old 18th December 2008, 10:48 PM   #104
jbell is offline jbell  United States
diyAudio Member

Hey flip, can you post the 1850 or 186 hornresp inputs that you're referring to with the 3015lf?

thanks
Old 18th December 2008, 11:05 PM   #105
FlipC is offline FlipC  United States
diyAudio Member

Here you go.
2.83V plots

1850 Horn. Designed for singles and groups of 4+:
Click the image to open in full size.

USB Horn. Designed for doubles or multiples there of:

Meant USB not 186 horn. Fixed
Old 18th December 2008, 11:35 PM   #106
diyAudio Member

Which cabinet are you referring to?

The issue with a TH is that I have the 15" drivers.
The goal was ro replace double 15's or 18's with single boxes.
I'd certainly be interested in any buildable box that would do that
with the drivers I have. I need to go higher than 100hz and 15" drivers are better sounding.
Old 19th December 2008, 01:59 AM   #107
jbell is offline jbell  United States
diyAudio Member

Flip, what screamers and I are referring to, is the hornresp inputs for the 1850 horn, with a 15" like the 3015lf. What you posted looks like the 18" pd1850 driver.

Also screamers is looking for solid at 40hz. neither the 1850 (50hz) or especially the 186 (60hz) go there.

can you post the hornresp INPUTS for these horns with a 3015lf?

thanks
Old 19th December 2008, 02:19 PM   #108
diyAudio Member

As far as Danley's specs being off.....
Judging by the box I'm working the kinks out of I feel that those specs are probably on the money if you read the fine print as you pointed out.
After breaking in a new 4015 for 6 hours yesterday, this thing is putting out over 103dbfrom 50-110hz +-1db, 110db at 120hz,
but dropping quickly below 45. Keep in mind that most of the previous attempts could not beat the direct radiator box from 70-120hz.
Getting 106db Average depending on how you look at it is concievely possible from this layman's point of view given Master Danley's skills. 4 ohm helps.
Most High sensitivity boxes I've seen run out of DB too fast and at too steep a curve to be usefull for small combat audio use.
They are great if you have a semi and a crew and can use lots of them. So far in testing I've abused the TH boxes harder than any double cabs I have had, and they have eliminated a couple of traditional horn designs I bought and a couple of commercial cabs.
There is also a "Sound" with these boxes that is quite interesting and more consistent room to room than some other horns I've played with.
I find it interesting that the Tapped horn shares many similarities with scoop bins because scoops are still widely used in DJ circles today. Unlike scoops though, you can get pleasing results with only one TH on a small system. Folded horns seem to need herds to have any real effect (I love em but), the TH has "Balls".
Old 19th December 2008, 03:11 PM   #109
iand is offline iand  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by screamersusa
As far as Danley's specs being off.....
Judging by the box I'm working the kinks out of I feel that those specs are probably on the money if you read the fine print as you pointed out.
After breaking in a new 4015 for 6 hours yesterday, this thing is putting out over 103dbfrom 50-110hz +-1db, 110db at 120hz,
but dropping quickly below 45. Keep in mind that most of the previous attempts could not beat the direct radiator box from 70-120hz.
Getting 106db Average depending on how you look at it is concievely possible from this layman's point of view given Master Danley's skills. 4 ohm helps.
Most High sensitivity boxes I've seen run out of DB too fast and at too steep a curve to be usefull for small combat audio use.
They are great if you have a semi and a crew and can use lots of them. So far in testing I've abused the TH boxes harder than any double cabs I have had, and they have eliminated a couple of traditional horn designs I bought and a couple of commercial cabs.
There is also a "Sound" with these boxes that is quite interesting and more consistent room to room than some other horns I've played with.
I find it interesting that the Tapped horn shares many similarities with scoop bins because scoops are still widely used in DJ circles today. Unlike scoops though, you can get pleasing results with only one TH on a small system. Folded horns seem to need herds to have any real effect (I love em but), the TH has "Balls".
I don't think Tom's specs are off as such, the TH-115 is 106dB for 2.82V (1W into 8 ohms nominal) -- but this isn't 106dB/W, for a 4 ohm nominal speaker it's 103dB/W.

However, the IEC specification for an "8 ohm nominal impedance" speaker allows a minimum impedance of 80% of nominal which is 6.4ohms. Zmin for the TH-115 is quoted at 5 ohms, so it could be classed as a 6 ohms speaker not an 8 ohm one. This would knock about 1.5dB off the "dB/W" rating, so 104.5dB/W would be a fairer number for comparison.

I still don't think there's anything around which can beat them...

Ian
Old 19th December 2008, 04:30 PM   #110
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by iand

I still don't think there's anything around which can beat them...

Ian

I have to second that.

In addition....I tweaked the first stage this morning and the blasted thing is slamming out a peak of108db at 70hz 1w 1m. It lost a db above that, and gained a db below. Cabinet resonance?
This is certainly the most interesting design I've ever toyed with, although I'm not playing...I'm trying to save my rear end and maybe a few others as well.

Since it appears the big boys will be hurting for longer than I anticipated, instead of competing against Cerwin Vega's, Peaveys, and occasional Yorkies and self powered Mackies and JBLS in the low budget market, now it appears to be a long battle against Meyer, EAW, Turbosound, and other top shelf Rigs slumming along in the same market. Here There's a big Yorkie TS9 rig, A bunch of big Meyers and Huge EAW rigs doing shows under $1,000. If some of us can get out there again with a decent DIY tapped or some real Danleys we can hold on untill the big boys can go back up to their normal markets. That's why I'm literally killing myself to make this box work. Cheers.

Hide this!Advertise here!