A new use for an old sub - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd October 2008, 10:23 PM   #1
Spax is offline Spax  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Question A new use for an old sub

After an in-car audio re-shuffle Iím left with a 10" sub;

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

Next to nothing is known about this fellow, itís 10 inches in diameter and the multimeter is showing 3.3 Ohms resistance across the terminals, thereís a faint serial (?) number on the back which is 207142.

As Iím loth to leave a functional component without a purpose I began to think what sort of use I could put the sub toÖ

I recently undertook a £50 HiFi challenge which a friend set for me, I got him a setup comprising of an amp, bookshelf speakers and wiring for him to connect to his PC, I achieved this with a few quid to spare and he was very pleased with it, although after listening to my setup he expressed a desire for a bit more bass.

This leads me to my question;

Can I change this 10" car sub from a mobile bass provider to a house-bound boomer?

I know little about the intricacies of audio but as a Motorsport Engineering student Iím able to turn my hand to the practical side of assembly and manufacturing, besides, as the long nights draw in a new project will be another distraction to the never-ending deluge that is a British winter!

Cheers

Joey
Old 23rd October 2008, 10:43 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Is this an "El Cheapo" project?? a sub is a sub is a sub, probably not perfect but make a small box; whack in a cheap plate amp and see what it sounds like.
Probably sealed and don't forget the stuffing.
I have used car subs with mixed results and seems to depend more on crossover frequency than anything; try and keep it below 100 and hope the midbass is rolling off about there
Old 23rd October 2008, 10:48 PM   #3
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

That looks like a woofer.

If you can't get a hold of the T/S parameters and have no way of measuring them, it's a bit of a crapshoot. You could always try a box of about 1.5 cu ft and if it sounds boomy, add a bunch of insulation. If it sounds flat, add some wood or bricks to use up some of the volume. You'll need a plate amp. Probably around 75 watts should be OK.

EDIT: Moondog posted while I was typing.
Old 24th October 2008, 04:21 PM   #4
Spax is offline Spax  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the replies guys, as far as projects go the fact I'm a student should point to how much of a shoe-string budget it'd be on

Is there I direction I can be pointed in with reguards to plate amps? A search of the forums has enlightened me as to what they are, I'd guess that the amp would contain the required filters?

When it comes to "stuffing" the box, what should I be looking for? some sort of acoustic wadding? Does this wadding have to fill the box or cover the internal sides?

Cheers
Old 24th October 2008, 04:35 PM   #5
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Plate amps have the necessary filters built in. Here's some

http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage....TOKEN=48899723

Stuffing can be polyester pillow stuffing, fiberglass insulation, certain foams etc. The amount is determined by what it sounds like without it.
Old 25th October 2008, 05:57 PM   #6
mikee55 is offline mikee55  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Hello spax

This company has a plate amp.

http://www.bkelec.com/

Do take the time to read around the forums, if your'e gonna rough size a box, read how people construct their boxes. Attention to detail here, will help.

Cabinet Building Technique of the Fanatics

Mike

Hide this!Advertise here!