Subwoofer parts in the UK

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am sure this has been asked before (but you can not search on "uk" - too short) ....

I am looking to build a subwoofer in the UK and would like to know where to start looking to buy a plate amplifier and driver?

I have found a few places in the US and some in Aus. But shipping a taxes would ruin the point of building my own.

I am on a tight budget, but would like some advice on the quality I could expect, compared to a shop bought sub. Say compared to the Rel Quake - retailing here for about £350.

I am hoping to keep my budget down, since I should be able to get all the building materials cheap or free. I have a source of very strong, heavy wood, used in sea break waters. Good stuff, just difficult to work with.

James

James,
The best place is probably...
http://www.bkelec.com/DIY.htm

I've never bought from them but their products seem reasonable.

The only problem is the RCMAkoustic (manufactures of the Alcone and BX-10 drivers) don't quote Xmax. The BSB range of drivers do quote Xmax or provide enoughdata so that it can be calculated.

If you want better drivers then Adire's range is now available in the UK. See this link for details:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=8406&highlight=adire

Nice one,
david.

I got the plate amp from BK and used a peerless driver in an enclosed box designed with winisd.

I think the driver was an 831709? about £55 delivered. I was after a cheep sub package but invested more of my money in the amp as i can use it in future projects.

The sound is really punchy and delivers all i want, not so sure next door would agree though!! :rolleyes:

the driver was ordered from wilmslow audio

www.wilmslow-audio.co.uk

hope this helps

Mark

So - maybe someone can give me some recommendations (either specific kit - or on my choices) - since the choice is not as limited as I thought it might be.

My aim: to build a good sub woofer, to "get into" diy audio (rather than just reading about it), not to spend too much money, learn.

I want to build a respectable sub. Something that will perform similar to something that would have cost twice as much to buy in a shop (I hope).

I would like to keep the electronics (amp/driver) to below £150 - ideally about £100. I have sources for the wood I will use to make the enclosure - so that is not a problem.

I have some requests for the capability of the amp.
- I would like an auto on/off feature - though I could live without.
- I would like it to be able to take LFE input and pre outs from my fronts.

I would also like to understand what causes "hum" or "hiss", when there is no input, yet the speakers still seem to emit some sound - and how I could cure, or minimise this.

James

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.