Problem with my subwoofer - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th October 2008, 06:50 PM   #1
tareqx2 is offline tareqx2  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to tareqx2 Send a message via AIM to tareqx2 Send a message via MSN to tareqx2 Send a message via Yahoo to tareqx2
Default Problem with my subwoofer

I just got the Logitech x-530 5.1 "surround sound" setup. The speakers are fine except for the woofer. When i have the bass volume (on the back of the woofer) above about 1/4 then whenever i turn up the volume moderately (to about 1/2), The woofer begins to crackle when deep bass is played. If i turn the bass up

I don't really know much about speakers or anything. I tried to take the woofer apart but the power cord keeps the metal plate on the back from being taken off. There is no other way to get it (atleast that i could find.) Can anyone give me any fixes or advice? Thanks.
Old 17th October 2008, 01:02 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

It could either be the amp clipping, or the subwoofer being driven to over-excursion and it's cone crashing into stuff.

The simple fix for it is to turn the sub volume dial back down.

A better one, if possible, would be to adjust the equaliser in whatever you're driving it with, presumably the computer. Turn down frequencies below 40Hz, as the sub probably fails miserably at producing these frequencies and ends up floundering about and making crackling sounds. Some soundcard controllers have this, as do media players, but for a fix-all you'll need to find the soundcard's equaliser.
Old 17th October 2008, 02:44 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default Same, but for 2.1

Hi - I have these same speakers but the 2.1 version...

All i know is (from looking) that the subwoofer won't move any further after a point, and it is when it has moved furthest that is crackles - so yes, i think it is the sub driver but i don't think there is much you can do about it as i tryed to replace the driver in mine, just to see what would happen.. but i couldn't get in - same problem as you
The trick is to get an amp, some reasonable bookshelf speakers and a big sub - you will be fine with those =)
have a look at http://www.richersounds.com/showprod...HTD-50-MAP-SIL or better if you want the same sound, but without the crackles

Hope this helps
Old 17th October 2008, 03:51 PM   #4
simon5 is offline simon5  Canada
diyAudio Member

If you want deep bass, you need to upgrade. As Pikefish said, I doubt your unit is faulty, I think it's by design.

If you want to stay with Logitech, there's the Z5500 Digital.

If you just got it, and think it's faulty, why not bring it back to store and try another unit to be sure ?
Old 24th October 2008, 01:57 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

If that still doesn't fix the problem. You might have small wires on the line into/out of the sub. This also causes problems like this sometimes. +1 vote for getting another subwoofer. Keep the old sub for lower power systems (such as computer) or sell it or destroy it.

Hide this!Advertise here!