Does this sound like a decent HT sub

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
ok, this is my first real pot on here. I hang out at parts express tech-talk most the time.

I am wanting to build a decent sub for my loft. This is where mt 42" plasa is, basically my media room. room is 11' deep, 12' wide, open on one side to the stair way, see pics below.

stereo system consists of pioneer vsx-818v reciever, my tritrix front ported towers. i am currently building a sealed tritrix for my cneter, and wil build 2 WT for the rear surrond to replace my sony stuff. ialso have a sony SA-WMS230 powered sub.

I dont want a cube of a sub box, i want somethign different and hidden.

i have 3 ideas for a sub box.

1st: 2 tang band 6.5" subs in a 17.25 x 36.75 x 5.5" box. it would have about .8 cubic feet of air, a 4" x4" x38" port powered by the dayton 100 watt amp.

looks to kit 37 hz at -3 db, spl of about 106 db, port velocity of 10 mps.

this would fit up under my tv stand and be totally hidden.

second option is to put a sub in my sofa. i have half a sectional sofa, which i built abox on the end and covered to make a arm. i could remake this to include a sub box.

1st version of this would be a dayton 8" dvc sub w/ 100 watt dayton amp.

box would be 24 1/2" x 35" x 6", port would be 4.5" x 4" x 41"
1.45 cubic feet air space

looks like 26 hz at -3 db, spl 104.5 hz, port velocity 10.5 mps. this looks like a promising set up.

the third is the hard hitter

dayton rss265HF-4 with either the dayton 240 or bash 300 amp.
box would be 35 x 25 x 7, port would be 4.75 x 5.25 x 41. air space 1.75 cunic feet
29 hz at -3 db, 110.5 spl, port velocity 12.5 mps.

Now cost is an option. i will spend more if its truely worth it. these setup go from under 100 almost to right at 300$.

i need feed back please

here are pics of the room it would go in
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

front speakers

Bigger is better

Always go for the biggest sub you can. A 6.5" is not a woofer, much less a subwoofer. You can stretch and call it a midwoof. An 8" is still a midwoofer, to my way of thinking. Go with the big one and live happy. With the little ones, you'll run out of output, and eventually wind up building the big one anyway.

The TB min subs are fun and NOT a joke. For anyone not familiar with them, anything under 8" would sound like a joke, but they are not.

http://www.parts-express.com/projectshowcase/indexn.cfm?project=Boogieman

That would make a good under the table sub. Probably under the sofa would be better. It could probably make a player skip if you tried to put it under your components.

The downside, it's not really cost effective. One large sub is proven and works. I'm actually making one with 4 of the smaller 5 1/4" subs. I wouldn't even plan a project like that, but I had one in a computer 2.1 system that got taken apart. I had two from a car that I sold. Then I got another one so I could do 4 in one sub. I got the first three for $19 each, but I had to pay $33 for that last one. Software shows -3 at 37hz and some people are claiming 35hz just with the 5 1/4 subs. I'm in the process of setting up speaker workshop to take actual measurements, but my sub is being built right now.

The TB subs some how have low distortion with extreme xmas. Goes against everything I've ever read about lower xmas and a bigger woofer is better. I would only choose them for a car or HT though. They are not audiophile level of low distortion, but very nice, and fun to play with.

Here is what I have been working on. Just 4 TB W5-1138SM's and a Dayton 25W plate amp.

Almost done...

DSCF4769.jpg

DSCF4768.jpg

DSCF4770.jpg

DSCF4771.jpg

DSCF4772.jpg

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.