Sub for band use

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Looking to assemble a couple of dual or 4 single subs for 5 pc Band.
Currently I use a dual QW218 peavey sub, 120hz and below, everything else goes to top cabs.
I have been told that 15's will have a tighter punch.
It was also recomended to me by EAW to use horn loaded 12" subs,BH760 per side and up to two LA400 per side.

Horn loaded means ?????

I am looking that chest thumping kick from kick drum and bass guitar. I'm undecided on what route to go. Loudspeakerbuilder.com is less than 1/2 hour from me.They can build the cabs cheaper than I can.

Sorry, wrong answer.

Titan28v.jpg

One conventional horn by itself has pathetic bass, especially if it is long (so it can go deep).

Now a tapped horn (which is not actually a horn in the region it works best in) does have some bass.

Here is a single inexpensive Eminence 15" driver eating a pair of Peavey 18s:

KM15vsLowRider18x2.gif

find Tom Danley's Labhorn.

If you want all the background on how he designed it then look for his very extensive paper on the horn.

It goes very loud for little input power, but you need 12 cabinets if you fly them in space or 6 cabinets if they are floor loaded.

You can use just 3 cabinets if they are placed against the back wall and floor loaded.

Each cabinet has a pair of 12inch bass drivers and can use upto 2kW into 3ohms with a steep high pass filter to protect the drivers.

A Lab 12 still won't have any 'slam' without horn loaded midbass, and, as a conventional bass horn you have to drag around a bunch of them before they work well.

A TH of about 10% greater bulk (or two small ones stacked) than a single Lab 12:

4015LFvsLab12.gif

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.