Subwoofer Controller needed!!! - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th October 2008, 02:30 PM   #1
kibet85 is offline kibet85  Kenya
diyAudio Member

Default Subwoofer Controller needed!!!

Hi guys...m a newbe in the electronic world but can make simple circuits..i have a 12inc pioneer ts-w307f subwoofer..
http://www.pioneer.eu/eur/products/2...07F/index.html
its in a cabinet with the following dimensions-
lenght-32in by width-13in by depth-18in..The cabinet has 2 breathers.For the amp,have rodd elliots p68(240w version)....(bumps like hell)now,i want a sub controller that boosts frequencies bellow 60hz...
i have this car eq made by boschmann,eq75 pro...i use it as the sub controller. i like its sub output...very deep and defined especially in the low frequencies...(hope some of you guys have used it and can support me on this).
i want to do away with it coz theres alot of wiring.. involved!!!
what circuit can i make to achieve the same sound or even better...
i want to intergrate the circuit with the amp..
for the sound source,i use my pc.
i had seen a sub controller done by sillicon circuits...
http://www.siliconchip.com.au/cms/A_109076/article.html
i have the pcb schematic for it but i don't have the schematic...has anyone used it before and how does it sound and does anyone have its schematic....
then,theres rod elliots active sub controller,http://sound.westhost.com/project48.htm
Does this thing achieve wat i achieve with the Boschmann eqx-75 pro...
Old 4th October 2008, 05:26 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

That Silicon controller has all kinds of nice features. But I think it is quite essential to not to have a mere 12 dB/8ave slope cross-over. That leaves way too much power into the upper speaker as well as into the lower speaker at frequencies either can't handle well.

For sure, one good LF speaker is better than two so-so ones. I find crossing over at 140 Hz (at 24 dB/8ave) is hunky-dorey. But for most mid-range speaker systems, you can go lower without compromise and then the LF speaker can be more specialized for its task and placement in the room less restricted.
Old 4th October 2008, 09:09 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Subwoofer Controller needed!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by kibet85
Hi guys...m a newbe in the electronic world but can make simple circuits..i have a 12inc pioneer ts-w307f subwoofer..
http://www.pioneer.eu/eur/products/2...07F/index.html
its in a cabinet with the following dimensions-
lenght-32in by width-13in by depth-18in..The cabinet has 2 breathers.For the amp,have rodd elliots p68(240w version)....(bumps like hell)now,i want a sub controller that boosts frequencies bellow 60hz...
i have this car eq made by boschmann,eq75 pro...i use it as the sub controller. i like its sub output...very deep and defined especially in the low frequencies...(hope some of you guys have used it and can support me on this).
i want to do away with it coz theres alot of wiring.. involved!!!
what circuit can i make to achieve the same sound or even better...
i want to intergrate the circuit with the amp..
for the sound source,i use my pc.
i had seen a sub controller done by sillicon circuits...
http://www.siliconchip.com.au/cms/A_109076/article.html
i have the pcb schematic for it but i don't have the schematic...has anyone used it before and how does it sound and does anyone have its schematic....
then,theres rod elliots active sub controller,http://sound.westhost.com/project48.htm
Does this thing achieve wat i achieve with the Boschmann eqx-75 pro...

hi kibe85

here is the schematic for silicon chip sub controller

http://i38.tinypic.com/2rfsupu.jpg
Old 8th October 2008, 08:47 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default Not the correct schematic...

Hithe schematic you posted is not he correct one..thats for a crossover...now on to you ben,wat do you mean a mere12db/octave... m not that good in electronic terms....newbie..
Old 8th October 2008, 03:37 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Not the correct schematic...

Quote:
Originally posted by kibet85

snip
ben,wat do you mean a mere12db/octave... m not that good in electronic terms....newbie..
Do the math.

Say your cross-over is 120 Hz, then using a 12 dB/8ave filter, the mid-range is playing strong input at 60 Hz and is down 15 dB (I hope somebody will correct me if that isn't numerically correct). That's a lot of LF to scramble into the mid-range sound.

Likewise, the woofer will be playing a lot of sound at 240 HZ which is directionally detectable and may not be a very sweet sound when produced by a woofer in a corner.

At one point in time, ways of blending the sound and audio qualities of drivers was a major concern. But I think for crossover points below 200 Hz, it is better to "hurry" the frequency separation and not fret the blending.

In another thread, I mentioned turning off my woofer for repairs. It crosses over at 140 Hz and 24 dB/8ave. I said that while detectable by ear, the loss to the music content is oddly small (not zero, just oddly small). Except for movie thrills and chills and maybe some organ music, nobody (except members of this board, of course) would notice the loss of a woofer if the crossover were 120 Hz and 12dB/8ave unless you prompted them. As a long term listener, you'd know right away, may I add, "of course" again.
Old 13th October 2008, 06:42 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

hi ben,still resarching on that 12db vs 24db filtering...anyway,tell me wat you think about this schematic...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf sub_control_schematic[1].pdf (18.9 KB, 230 views)
Old 13th October 2008, 12:06 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

kibet85 -

I don't have the skills to offer a postable opinion. Kind of looks like a conventional filter design.
Old 15th October 2008, 02:15 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

There's also this
http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_...roducts_id=657

Hide this!Advertise here!