Vented box design for a Targa Autosound x-150-i - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th September 2008, 08:39 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Vented box design for a Targa Autosound x-150-i

Hi

I have been thinking about building a sub for some time now and Im basically doing this as a warm-up project for the bigger one that Ive got planned for a few weeks.

Anyway, Ive managed to get a hold of a Targa Autosound x-150-i, 15 inch 500w (250wrms) 4 ohm sub. The only details i can get for the thing are:
Size 15"
Power 250Wrms
500Wmax
Imp. 3.9 Ohm
Res. 29.5Hz
Sens. 87dB
Mag. 156x20mm (49oz.)
Qms 4.33
Qes 1.16
Qts 0.92
Vas 159L
Box 1.4f min.

Also got this from another thread -
X-150
Z=3R9
Fs=29.5Hz
SPL=87dB
Qms=4.33
Qes=1.16
Qts=0.92
Vas=159 litres

I beleive those T/S figures are for the non 'i' model, which as far as a know (which isnt very far at all) looks different but apart from the looks i dont know. It does recomend a 1.4cf sealed box, but Im looking for some subsonics even if its not the worlds greatest sound quality.

Anyway, I need a bit of help designing a box for this driver. I will be extracting a 220w rms plate amp off of a Dream HiFi sub that i got off ebay to use with the Targa. Trying for a ported box with a tuning of around 20hz. Will be used mainly for gaming and HT use with a bit of music every now and then. I would like to keep the box size to a minimum.

I did not pay much for this sub so Im basically just seeing how they hold up when given the proper treatment.

There was NO included paperwork with the driver (it really was just a box with a sub in it!), and the specs that written on the box I have supplied.

Any suggestions or ideas will be greatly appreciated.
Old 26th September 2008, 10:10 PM   #2
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Hmm, you've already gotten some advice here, so what are you wanting from us? I mean short of a TL this driver's Qts is way too high for a typical ducted port alignment unless well stuffed to make it ~aperiodic.

Anyway, in the future please reference any other threads so we won't potentially waste time on following a path already traveled.

GM
Old 28th September 2008, 04:40 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

May be not as a subwoofer, but I just punched those parameters into a quick open baffle program and they work OK in a biggish baffle.

I think those woofers are still avaliable from WES,

Hide this!Advertise here!