Plate amp suggestions or other? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th September 2008, 02:44 PM   #11
fazman is offline fazman  Canada
diyAudio Member

Well, I haven't had a chance to take the amp to my tech yet but I did have a chance to hook up this sub to my resident sub set up.
I moved my Titanic MKII 15 out of the way and replaced it with this sub.
I think this sub really is 20 ohms as it took way more power from my Crown Microtech 1200 to drive it. I had to turn the volume waaay up to get even close to the same levels as with the Titanic.

Having said that the woofer in this Mirage is something. No it couldn't keep up with the 15 incher in output but it was very impressive non the less. Very quick yet still went impressively low. And the BFD wasn't even eq'd for that woofer.

So... we'll see what happens when I bring it in. I doubt it can be fixed though. You can see a burn mark on one of the boards and it looks like a chip blew up! NOT GOOD! There is a resistor that has a solder joint that came undone where the speaker leads come in for a high level input. Maybe this caused the amp to blow in the first place??? Who knows.

I think my options will have to be another plate amp or maybe another used pro amp... But one noisy fan is already too much!!!!

I want to use this thing ultimately just for music as I already have a home theater sub. So I might not need another 1000 watt amp. T-Rex won't be playing through this sub... Just some Lyle Lovett and Keb Moe! Maybe I can get away with a 250 watt plate amp replacement with some bass boost built in...
Old 30th September 2008, 07:48 PM   #12
fazman is offline fazman  Canada
diyAudio Member

Well, I got the amp back from my tech and... she's toast!
I pretty much new that would be the case though.
So now I'm stuck with a driver and a box... I guess my only option would be to use a very powerful pro amp to drive this woofer?
I measured the woofer again just to make sure and it measured 19 ohms.
Are there any pro (powerful) amps out there that don't have a noisy fan attached to them?
My Crown I'm using for my LFE sub is very noisy.

Thanks for all your input so far gentlemen!
Old 1st October 2008, 03:00 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Jack Hidley
The Xti series of amplifiers has very high voltage rails, which is what you need for that driver. Plus they have quite a lot of Audio DSP functions built in. It does have a fan built. If you don't drive it hard, the fan is fairly quiet.
Old 4th October 2008, 07:22 AM   #14
dangus is offline dangus  Canada
diyAudio Member

Peavey PV8.5C amps have a two-speed fan that is pretty quiet on low. Bridged, it should still deliver several hundred watts if my calculations are right. It's a 3U high case, so it can run a bigger, slower, quieter fan than 3.5" case amps. I haven't tried the Behringer EP2500 at home; it's a 3.5" case, but it should deliver more power bridged. I've run across both those models used for not much over $200.

If you have a big 120/240 step-down or isolation transformer 500 VA or more, those can be used as audio transformers. A 2:1 voltage ratio should reduce the effective impedance to about 5 ohms (1/4). I've been using that arrangement in reverse with my DIY Contrabass subwoofer for years and nothing has blown up yet.

Hide this!Advertise here!