staircase horn???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hey I have been looking all the benefits of horn subs and up until now the big issue has been space. however I was thinking i could integrating it into the home via our spiral stair case. Has anyone done this before? Is there a way I can make sure the stair case/ room enclosure is infact expanding exponentially? Would it provide much more gain? ie throat area of say 3x2M? If you clarifcation on what i mean I can get pics

I've been imagining such beauties for some time....

One of the methods I've thought of is 2 curvy stairs on both sides of the hallway -- in a very big house of course. Horns are constructed under the stairs and sharing partial contour and construction.

That would be: stepping into the front door, you'll be facing a huge hallway and 2 curvy stairs on both side, then you pass through the arch-like porch to the living room. The spaces under the stairs form 2 big funnels and face inward to the living room, where the listening position will be.

That would be huge and beautiful, I keep dreaming (in my tiny appartment)..... :eek:

I can't picture how a spiral staircase would work.

But a traditional set of stairs is very easy.

The listening room in one of my houses has an attached closet. The closet is underneath the stairs which lead to the floor above. Therefore, the interior of the closet tapers from 6" tall at the base of the stairs, to eight feet tall at the top of the stairs.

I took advantage of this "built in horn" by placing one of the subs at the narrow side of the stairs. I would expect to see significant gain, as the stairs will load the sub.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.