Ported box for TAD Tl 1603 ? Calculation help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Here we go with pictures:

mats

Attachments

• mor 001.jpg
    mor 001.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 398
  • mor 003.jpg
    mor 003.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 363
  • mor 007.jpg
    mor 007.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 347
Tad 1603 etc

ARK: Ah, you have the same problem as me. The 1201 is just fabulous, but it is really limited. That horn you show is beautiful! You can get something like that down pretty low, and then go to a sub. The 1201 is unbeatable in that application.

I'm going to build a rough box, and just see how low you can push that 1201. I already disposed of the one I built before. It was too heavy, and too big. Maybe sonotube for a quick test?

MATSJ: Beautiful! really well done.

Mats - did you say you built these for your mother? What a good son! Wish I could hear them I really like how you did the horn too.

Homebuilder - there should be a thread of 10 things you can do with the 1201.. it would be a challenge to find 3 successful implementations in spite of its great specs.

I may just do what mats did with the 1603 and try building a horn for the 1201 later.. like this:

http://www.goodsoundclub.com/Site_Images/first_pair.jpg

GoodSoundClub - Romy the Cat's Audio Site - TM-1201 midbass

Tad 1201 etc

ARK: I agree with your comments. It is a tough road. To me, that horn you linked to is way too large and unwieldy for a midbass horn, which is what the 1201 is made for.

Nelson Pass thought the 1201 had great sound in regular boxes. It might be interesting to see how it sounds as a 3 way monitor.

I wonder how they would sell on Ebay now?

I bought the horns from a friend, so i have just buillt the boxes to 1603. The horns are made of laminated mdf. They are 350 hz tractrix horns with jacaranda and birch veneer.

I had the parts and was not using it, so i fixed it to my mom. She´s just need a better amp and crossover.

mats

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.