Fitting a subsonic filter to a plate amp - Page 5 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th September 2008, 09:44 PM   #41
Collo is offline Collo  Australia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Collo
Looking at the schematic for the amp, it does indeed have +/- 15v rails, so it would be an ideal match for the filter circuit.

Not only do you save on a separate power supply which can introduce hum if not implimented well, but you get the option of mounting the filter inside the sub for a seamless installation.

I have one of those amps myself, but never had the circuit, so this exercise truly has been a 2-way street!

As for using the TL072/LF353N op-amps, I'm no expert. I know Rod Elliot uses the TL072 in his filters, and he's an Aussie circuit guru, so I think it would be fine. Someone else might be able to confirm that though!
Old 29th September 2008, 01:57 AM   #42
djk is offline djk
diyAudio Member

This should be obvious.

The ESP filter has an input buffer, two 12dB filter sections, and an output buffer.

The plate amp has an input buffer, one 12dB filter section (C13, C14, R23, R24), and a second 12dB filter section C1, R1, R2, and add a resistor from the connection point of C1, R1 to the base of Q2, the power amp is the output buffer.

C1 will now be the same as C13, change R1 to the same as C14, the added resistor is R23, R2 is R24.

Now we have the same functions as the ESP filter with no extra board, opamps, etc.
Old 30th September 2008, 01:00 AM   #43
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the link http://www.subwoofer-builder.com/active-filter.htm to your excellent guide to 0.1 filters 101

Your wish list for the ideal subwoofer processor is good.

If I could suggest a wish for formula on LR HP filters, which calculates the component values. As well as 24 dB/octave, a formula for 36 dB/octave.

Thatís also really good that WinISD models the changes to cone excursion and frequency response. Though Iíll wait till their next production release!

Cheers

Hide this!Advertise here!