spec and box design for EOSONE 12 inch woofer - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th September 2008, 11:25 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Talking spec and box design for EOSONE 12 inch woofer

Hello !

I buy EOSONE 12 inch woofer. (RSP-912 woofer)

the spec is good, but I don't have SD and Xmax of this driver,
anyone know ?

I need help to build high SPL HT subwoofer BOX
what's the best BOX setup for this driver ?
tapped horn - TL - other type ???

I don't like sealed

BassBox software flat freq response 20-100hz 9 cu ft vented box.
but...I don't like vented box (port noise)

thanks in advance !

nicK
Old 9th September 2008, 05:21 PM   #2
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Re: spec and box design for EOSONE 12 inch woofer

Greets!

Sd can be estimated, but without specs it's hard to say beyond the fact that it will be big based on the BassBox sim. Estimating Xmax requires knowing the VC's length and the magnet's flux gap height, but I'd be surprised if it has a long enough Xmax required for true sub duty, so a large 4th order BP will probably your best bet.

GM
Old 9th September 2008, 05:54 PM   #3
zlast is offline zlast  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to zlast Send a message via MSN to zlast Send a message via Yahoo to zlast
Default Eosone

I purchased an EOSONE 12 inch to build an inexpensive sub for a friend. I built both sealed and vented enclosures and was unsatisfied with either - not much output. The EOSONE was sitting around doing nothing when I read the TAPPED HORN thread. I decided to try building a tapped horn using COWANs 30Hz design.

http://www.cowanaudio.com/

His design is NOT optimized for the EOSONE, but the results are FAR better than either the sealed or vented enclosures. Xmax is probably around 5-6mm, not much. In a tapped horn the output is unbelievable for a single 12 inch. If you have the equipment and space to build a tapped horn, do it. The driver only costs $25, so you could build a second sub for $60 including wood and driver. Two of these corner loaded would probably make you (and other objects in the room) dance.

Just for reference the EOSONE has replaced an ADIRE TEMPEST 15 inch sub in a 9 cubic foot vented enclosure tuned to 20 Hz. I have two tempests and plan to use them in 15 Hz tapped horns
Old 9th September 2008, 06:37 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I'm very sad to read your reply zlast

because now I have 4 xls 8 inch Peerless and I'm not satisfied in my theater room. No bass presence, my "DALINE STYLE" silver flute 4x 5" loudspeaker make MORE MORE bass in my room of my 4x XLS8 powered subwoofer !

it's too late I BUY 4x of this EOSONE 12" subwoofer because the price is GOOD and the freq reponse is very good FS 23hz with 91db. I'M SAD

With simulation software at 6mm xmax 1 sub is able to make 20hz 110db it's not good for hi-fi HT subwoofer ?

thankS

nicK
Old 9th September 2008, 06:46 PM   #5
zlast is offline zlast  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to zlast Send a message via MSN to zlast Send a message via Yahoo to zlast
Default Eosone

Spend $20 and buy two sheets of OSB 5/8 plywood and build a tapped horn. Try the tapped horn in your home theater, you will love it. If you want to build more tapped horns the EOSONE is only $25.
Old 9th September 2008, 07:45 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I calculate the box with HORNRESP software ?

or you have good site : TAPPED HORN SUBWOOFER for DUMMIES ?

thanks !

nicK
Old 10th September 2008, 07:02 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

hello !

if anybody have MJK's mathcad worksheet for

DALINE
classic TL
HORN
TAPPED HORN

please send me by email at nick@ssitec.ca

because I view on web is free for non-commercial use but I don't find .mcd files

Thanks in advance !

nicK
Old 10th September 2008, 09:04 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by nickthevoice
I calculate the box with HORNRESP software ?

or you have good site : TAPPED HORN SUBWOOFER for DUMMIES ?
Yes.

Hornresp HELP files. With its sliding adjusters TH Wizard anybody that can use a computer can create one and there's a wealth of info along with dozens of examples on the various TH threads, especially the huge main one.

GM
Old 10th September 2008, 09:17 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

There isn't a DALINE one per se, but it can be simmed using the BLH worksheet (WS).

No tapped horn (WS) either.

His WSs were freeware for the DIYer at one time, but the few ruin it for the many, so when folks started using them for profit he now charges a $25 USA annual renewal fee for more advanced WSs: http://www.quarter-wave.com/Models/MathCad_Models.html

The Classic TL designer is still freeware, but you'll need his TL WSs to sim them: http://www.quarter-wave.com/TLs/Alignment_Tables.pdf

BTW, you going to post the driver's specs you're using? Folks can't potentially help much without them.

GM
Old 10th September 2008, 09:26 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

if anybody want to help me to design the BEST flat freq 20-80hz with max SPL tapped horn subwoofer I send the spec here

not really WAF restriction for the size because is in home theater room. no restriction in height (max 7 foot) no trouble but not too deep or wide box because I have 4 subwoofer.

EOSONE 12 inch :
# Ohm rating is 4 ohms
# Power 250 watts RMS
# 2 inch voice coil
# SPL is 91db at 1 watt at one meter
# Freq. Response 20 Hz. to 1500 Hz.
# Part Number on the woofer is 1RD0001-2
# FS - 23.8926 Hz.
# Revc - 3.2038
# Zmax - 21.2296 ohms
# Qes - 0.5382
# Qms - 3.0342