Extremely silly question about wiring 4 drivers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
You're running 4 drivers in a speaker - is there any difference if you wire them up as "2 drivers in series and wire those pairs in parallel" or "2 drivers in parallel and wire those pairs in series"? Except that the wiring for the second one appears to me a bit less messy (the one on the right in the diagram).

Damn! Missed - meant this to go in Loudspeakers, not Subwoofers! Oops...:blush:

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 135
The first example shows half the woofers out of phase with the others, but that probably wasn't your intention to demonstrate, and for all I know they could be reverse mounted too.

That aside, there shouldn't be any impedance difference between
series(parallel)(parallel) and
parallel(series)(series),
but you might be able to save a miniscule amount of series resistance in one way rather than the other, if the wires work out shorter, depends on the mounting.

I hope there's no negative effect I've yet to hear about, I plan on using series(parallel)(parallel) in one of my projects.

Hang on, what you're drawn in the first is all in parallel also, thats imp/4, not whats you're trying to build.

I'd edit but I'm not allowed yet, bah.

The question you're asking isn't really relevant for 4 woofers, the only difference being whether you tie together the equipotential terminals between one woofer pair and the other, it doesn't make much of difference, unless it helps the drivers behave more singularly, yeah probably should do it, wire is cheap.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.