Small sealed Shiva subs - Linkwitz questions - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th August 2008, 10:59 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Small sealed Shiva subs - Linkwitz questions

Hola all.

What a great forum! First post from me. I have a few questions and am hoping the sub builders here could help me.

I have two Adire Audio Shiva 12" drivers left over from my car. These are phenomenal drivers.

I currently run one of these in my home theater in a downfiring box. However, in my new house, it's too big, and given that I need to place my sub at the very back of the room, I now need it to fit inside a cube bookshelf. (13" x 13" x 16")

So, I'm looking at building 1 or 2 new sealed Shiva subs. I will be buying a plate amplifier from jaycar.com.au here in Australia. Most likely the 600watt 4ohm models.

What I am confused about, is how do I go about adding the necessary linkwitz goodness to this? I essentially want to provide some smooth boost to the lower frequencies, so that it overcomes the small size of the box, and also include a high pass at the very low frequencies, so prevent bottoming out (not that I have seen this driver do that) at frequencies below say 22Hz.

Firstly, is there anyone on here who would be interested in knocking together the transform circuits? Gladly pay you. I don't have oodles of cash (c'mon, I'm a DIY'er), but happy to pay.

Secondly, where does this circuitry fit into my project given I am using a plate amp? Could the circuitry source power from the plate amp? Or do I need to build an external unit and run the line level signal through this, THEN into the plat amp?

I really appreciate any help you can offer. Apologies if I have missed this being already covered in other posts.

Many thanks in advance,

Scott
Old 16th August 2008, 01:48 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

http://sound.westhost.com/index2.html

You then need to navigate to the pages on linkwtz transforms; read the articles while you are there, NO SNAKE OIL on Rod's site
Old 16th August 2008, 10:45 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks Moondog. Actually it was that site that made me venture to here

I have had a read. And I see what he is doing with the Linkwitz transform circuit.

So would I be correct in saying that I would need to have my linkwitz circuit running in its own little powered box, accepting an RCA signal, processing the sound, then outputting another RCA signal, which I then run into my subwoofer plate amp?

Again, anyone out here interested in building one (well actually two, as I am building 2 subs here).?

Scott
Old 16th August 2008, 11:11 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Actually Scott I'm also looking for some-one here in Melbourne who understands Electronics to help ME!!
I just ordered one of Rod's ELF boards but my small electronics skills are very poor.
If you are in Melbourne the MAC have an active DIY section but BoxHill is impossible for me to get to.
Old 17th August 2008, 10:34 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Hey man

ahh cool you're an Aussie... didn't realize.

Yeah dude, I tried emailing Elliot Sounds, but got no reply.

BUT, the guys who I purchased the SHIVA subs from back a few years ago, are in Melbourne. I have emailed John there to see if he would be able to knock these up for us.

I finished building these two Shiva's yesterday, in teeny 13 x 13 x 16 boxes. At first, even with the 600watt amps, they had little deep bass.

But then I dialled in my Yamaha's built in EQ for the sub at 31Hz with a wide Q, and cranmked the volume, and I have to say, if this is ANY indication of what these will sound like with a proper Linkwitz transform, then I am really really excited... coz these things sound so so good.. so clean, so warm, and the bass is really tight and accurate - even if Im using some random EQ to get it there.

I'll let you know what John says. Im SURE any old electronics guy could throw these circuits together. Hell it might even be worth popping into a Jaycar store, and asking if any of the staffers can understand circuit diagrams, and knock one together.

Scottie

Hide this!Advertise here!