Buying Subwoofer driver-help - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th August 2008, 10:27 AM   #1
ttan98 is offline ttan98  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default Buying Subwoofer driver-help

I am looking to build a subwoofer, there are 2 subs on sale at the moment ,

1. Shiva from DIYcable on sale
2. M&K 12" from Ebay at this site:

http://cgi.ebay.com/M-K-Miller-and-K...=1218796148715

I don't know very much about subwoofer, any suggestions and recommendations are welcome.

thanks in advance.
Old 15th August 2008, 10:38 AM   #2
AndrewT is online now AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

don't buy it now.

Go and read about Linkwitz transforms. i.e. how to EQ a sealed box driver to get bass out of it below Fbox.

This needs high power and high Xmax and high power handling and if you ask for more than 12dB of low frequency boost you end up with a poor bass speaker. 18 to 20dB of boost looks impressive on the graphs but it does not work effectively.
Old 15th August 2008, 12:29 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hi ttan 98; you can't buy direct from DIY Cable because he has a marketing agreement with Audio Marketplace, you would have to get a third party to purchase for you and then re-send to you in Melbourne, two sets of postage costs.
Old 15th August 2008, 12:46 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Moondog55
Hi ttan 98; you can't buy direct from DIY Cable because he has a marketing agreement with Audio Marketplace, you would have to get a third party to purchase for you and then re-send to you in Melbourne, two sets of postage costs.

I may just do that, I know someone who can buy on my behalf.
Old 18th August 2008, 09:39 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

There could be another possibility, Lorantz are made in Australia, I believe that there main market is for "PRO" drivers but if we could demonstrate the market and put in a bulk purchase order perhaps we could get a subwoofer driver built to equal the performance of the "Shiva" or Tempest"

We'd need to organise a big group of people, and find out what the minimum production run was.
I have been contemplating buying a pair of Tempest sub drivers myself but funds are very tight until I find a new job.
Regards
Ted
Old 13th October 2008, 09:59 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Moondog55
There could be another possibility, Lorantz are made in Australia, I believe that there main market is for "PRO" drivers but if we could demonstrate the market and put in a bulk purchase order perhaps we could get a subwoofer driver built to equal the performance of the "Shiva" or Tempest"

We'd need to organise a big group of people, and find out what the minimum production run was.
I have been contemplating buying a pair of Tempest sub drivers myself but funds are very tight until I find a new job.
Regards
Ted
If you are interested in Lorantz, they are on auction TODAY, a little late on Graysonline.

Hide this!Advertise here!