Tapped Horn for 18" bass

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
AURA 18

Unless you all ready own the AURA driver (which are rather expensive) I would recommend finding a more affordable driver to make a tapped horn. IN any case you will need to provide the exact model number of the driver or T/S parameters to design any proper enclosure. You can find less expensive drivers that will give you a better frequency response.

t/s parameters

i have already the Aura 1808. In the new listening room, i have a height of 2,5m , and want to make the TH with 2,4m total length.

http://www.aurasound.com/public/discontinued/images/spec/nrt1808_a.jpg

these are from the thiele/small database, but they list only the nrt 18.8
i guess only the cone mass is slightly different :

Nom. diamerer [inch] 18
Vas [Liters] 475
Qts 0,26
Qes 0,28
Qms 4,4
Fs [Hz] 25
Sensitivity [dB] 96
Max Power [W] 800
Power definition RMS
Lower freq [Hz]
Upper freq [Hz] 2000
Rec. Filter freq [Hz]
xmax [mm] 18
Moving mass [g] 186
Disp area [m2] 0,124
Disp Vol [cm3]
xdamage [mm]
Air gap [mm] 50
Coil height [mm] 25
Coil diameter [mm] 99,1
Cms [mm/N] 218
Rms [N*s/m]
Magnet weight [gr]
Magnet height [mm]
Magnet diameter [mm]
Magnet material -
Re [ohm] 5,6
Z [ohm] 8
L [mH]
Bl [Tm] 24,5
Magnetic flux [Wb]
Flux density [T]
Outer diam. [mm]
Bolt circle [mm]
Nr of bolts [Nr]
Cutout [mm]
Weight [Kg] 13,5

GM

Joined 2003
FWIW, the Aura 1808 specs I have are considerably different:

GM

Attachments

• aura 1808 12-240 hz expo th - specs.gif
    aura 1808 12-240 hz expo th - specs.gif
    13.5 KB · Views: 1,008
GM

using your spec's, i get following SPL response :

TH.jpg

what are the dimensions of the TH , to get this response ?

i am thinking of two possibilites :

a copy of the DTS20 , adapted for the Aura :

Tappedhorn1.jpg

since it will be only for personal use, i don't think there would be any problem, if i build it.

or a TH similar to Volvotreter :

thv1.jpg

anyone has a idea, what might be better ?

GM

Joined 2003
Yes, that's the response I got.

All the critical dimensions are in the S1, etc. input fields, though of course you will have to figure out how to fold it up. As large as it is though, it needs to be built into a false wall IMO. Anyway, you really need to measure your driver's specs to get an accurate design, not to mention you can make it considerably smaller with a conic flare.

Right, you can build a patented design if for personal use only.

GM

The Aura 1808 Overature?

Anyone want to help revive this thread?

I have two original style Aura 1808's that I'm wondering if might work well for TH's..?

I have a SET/front loaded midbass horn and compression driver based system and, as the saying goes, "it takes a horn to catch a horn".

I'm very early in the learning curve about TH's, so it would be great if someone can discuss the suitability of the Aura 1808 for a TH and offer cabinet plan suggestions, so I can quickly build a proof of concept to see what the TH hubbub is all about (and perhaps invite my experienced horn buddies over for a listen).

I can measure the actual T/S parameters if needed.

(The only other woofers I have on hand are Altec 416-8C, JBL 12" 2202A, Gauss 18" 4882 and EVM-15B.)

Regards,
NBC

angeloitacare said:

How would that be with a conic flare?

any picture or drawing ?

Greets!

Sorry I missed this post and no drawings, but apparently you've either worked it out already or moved on to another type of alignment and now that HornResp has a fairly elaborate slider style Wizard it's a trivial matter to modify my posted expo design to conic and/or another BW within the limits of the driver's specs.

GM

N.B.C. said:

I have a SET/front loaded midbass horn and compression driver based system and, as the saying goes, "it takes a horn to catch a horn".

Down low, I've proven to myself that this isn't true if the XO BW isn't too high, but now that relatively small, inexpensive high power/excursion drivers in THs can compete with large, low tuned TL, MLTL and EBS alignments, might as well build the TH and save the high cost of drivers such as the 1808.

Anyway, if size isn't an issue, then the 1808 should make a fine sub/LF TH and with EQ my expo alignment can be shrunk considerably by using a conic expansion.

Can't comment about the others, but the 416 requires a huge cab also and if the others have a relatively high Vas they will too, so for just a proof-of-concept I recommend buying a small MCM or Tang Band and build a small proven design before committing considerable time/material expense on a huge low tuned alignment.

GM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.