Home theater sub advice

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
I'm looking for advice on a sub configuration for my home theater environment. I've recently purchased a home with a very large living room with has a built-in home theater cabinet space. The room is 23'x25' with a 26' cathedral ceiling; however, it's actually part of a much larger 1st floor open floor plan (kitchen, dining area, foyer). The built-in home theater cabinet space is 125" wide x 105" tall x 26" deep. I'm considering using the space under the TV shelf for one or two subwoofers. Originally, I was considering building the subs into the cabinet, but I think that it makes sense to instead build subs that will fit into the space but can be removed and modified. This space is currently 26"d x 125"w x 15"h but the height could be modified.
Before i purchased the house, I bought a Tumult 15d2 and planned on building a modest sized sealed box with a larger amp and LW transform circuit. I was planning for a sealed box both for sound quality as well as ease of building.
Now that I'm in a much larger space, I am re-evaluating my plans, and I'm looking for advice. Some possible options:
1. Build a single box with the 15d2 and a couple of PRs?
2. Sell the Tumult and buy two or more other matching drivers to build multiple boxes?
3. ????

Although it might be the best choice sonically, I don't think that an IB setup would make sense. I suppose that I could build something in the attic with the port in the cathedral ceiling, but I'm hesitant to cut the wood planks that line the ceiling.

I apologize for the long winded post, and any ideas would be appreciated. I've attached a picture of the built-in HT cabinet space. For reference the TV is a 70" Sony XBR2.

Thanks!
Gary

Attachments

• pict0238.jpg
    pict0238.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 245
If the 26"d x 125"w x 15"h measurments are overall, then you have a net volume of about 23 cubic feet, more then enough volume for a pair of subs. 23'x25' with a 26' cathedral ceiling is a big area for a single 15, depending on what your expectations are. Building 2 seperate subs would help eliminate vibrations to the TV, compared to being built into the cabinet. Raising the height to 20 inches would allow you to build a pair of 18 inch subs, which would put a smile on your face!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.