Iso-barik?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2008
So i searched the forums for this, and the best i could figure was that it halves the vas, and lowers the efficiancy. does anyone have experience with these?

I've been considering building a subwoofer, for me space is more of a problem than low efficiency. is this a good option, or is it too much for a beginner like me:D?

The space saving isn't quite as good as you'd think. The second driver plus "tunnel" occupy some volume. You may be better off mass-loading a driver since this achieves the same effect (lower efficiency) for less cost, and will give a smaller enclosure since you don't need that second driver. Or just start with a more suitable driver; saving the cost of a second woofer should allow a wider choice of good drivers.

The one time I intended to build an isobaric box, I forgot to allow enough clearance for the tunnel, and the resulting single-driver box sounded great, just with a couple dB hump which was quite pleasant.

The first sub I built was an isobaric design. I needed to build it into the back wall of my celica, so I would still have enough room to lay my bike in the back with the rear wheel on.

I turned one driver magnet outward to save the space taken up by a tunnel. It was a really,really great sounding sub.

JJ

I have on more than one occasion built isos with cheap drivers (jensen 12" for instance) and they sounded 100% better than they did in a standard enclosure.

On that note, I have never heard an iso setup that I didnt like!

If you do a face to face, make sure you have a sepprator between them (I used .75 mdf) or the drivers will distroy eachother.

Good luck and ISO!!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.