what to do with 10"kappa perfect

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
what to do with 10"kappa perfect

hi .
i have a infinity kappa perfect 10.1 woofer and a need for a HT
sub.

does anyone think this is a good canidate for a 3.0 cf or less
cab or should I rethink?

driver is left over from car audio project and is just sitting there.

T/S specs are
Re 4.11
Le 2.96
Sd 346 cm2
Bl 16.64
Vas 32.13 L
Fs 28.35
Qms 8.83
Qes .44
Qts.42
Xmax 14.15mm
Pe 350w

sensitivity is rated @ 94db(in car @40 hz)
[is this right?]

:confused:

GM

Joined 2003
Greets!

Fs is way too high for a bone fide HT sub, though probably plenty if in an apartment/condo.

Base sensitivity calcs at ~85.3 dB/m, though its high Le will pump it up some in a rising response way, but nowhere near the in-car number.

That said, in a corner loaded TH it's ~100 dB/m to 20 Hz, though it will take some EQ to flatten it. With ~67 W it can theoretically easily do DD/DTS reference to 20 Hz. Not too shabby for only ~5 ft^3.

GM

Thanks GM, for cruntching those numbers.

Thought the sensitivty spec was too high!!!

can you reccomend a sub or what to look for.

my room is approx 14 x 20 and kind of open to other rooms @ one end.

also don't have much floor space to give up either.

Thanks!

Hi,

3cuft and 5 cuft ? Vas is just over 1cuft ....

:)/sreten.

Attachments

• guff.jpg
    guff.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 137

GM

Joined 2003
Corner loaded with only ~67 W. If you wade through the tapped horn thread you'll find the response 'hash' above the 3rd harmonic dip at ~60 Hz in this design isn't as bad in reality as predicted and easily smoothed/attenuated with digital EQ and the 4th order slope normally used on a sub.

GM

Attachments

• infinity kappa perfect 10 14.14-128.86 hz conic th.gif
    infinity kappa perfect 10 14.14-128.86 hz conic th.gif
    19 KB · Views: 119

GM

Joined 2003
gmtech1 said:
Thanks GM........

You're welcome! I did with the tapped horn, just a little slow in getting it posted. Folded up into thirds it will have a relatively small footprint.

If this is too much hassle for you, then as sreten implied, its small Vas dictates a small cab and if vented it will be very long to get a low vent restriction which will need to be folded up inside the box, making its exterior dims somewhat larger if you don't want a 4" dia. pipe ~60" long sticking out the side or top in the case of a ~1.68 ft^3 net/18 Hz EBS alignment (similar to sreten's red trace except a bit flatter to a little lower Fb).

GM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.