Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th July 2008, 11:25 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to punkrokr1701 Send a message via MSN to punkrokr1701 Send a message via Yahoo to punkrokr1701
Default Good ole budget build sub

ok guys I haven't had much chance to check in the forums for a long time now and now that i got my comp built I'm looking at attempting a budget build $300 complete sub woofer. I'm looking at a very simple set up, Basically cut the cabinet, plug and play sort of set up right now. Birch is my choice of cabinet material, 1/2" is in consideration but i think i might as well do 3/4" for $10 more. As expensive as everything is nowadays a $300 build of decent quality is becoming more of a challenge. Anyways, I'm thinking of pairing up a Dayton driver rated at 300 watts rms @ 4 ohm with this bash amp. Very simple like i said. As far as enclosure goes a ported 4 ft^3 @ 28 Hz box seems best, as this will be 3/4 music use and the rest computer gaming and some movies. Anyways I would appreciate some input on this and if anyone knows of anything better off let me know.

BTW I have had bassbox pro for so long i done forgot the name of the freeware enclosure response modeling software i used to spend hours on, i know it's a very common program but i can't put my finger on it's name even after some goggling. Can someone help me out? lol
Old 4th July 2008, 11:30 PM   #2
olly-s is offline olly-s  England
diyAudio Member

winisd ur thinking of?
Old 5th July 2008, 03:19 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to punkrokr1701 Send a message via MSN to punkrokr1701 Send a message via Yahoo to punkrokr1701
yes winisd, lol thanks
Old 7th July 2008, 02:00 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

The BASH seems cool, unless you're thinking of using the plate amp's high-pass section for your satelites. From the picture of the unit, it seems to have no high pass, though I don't have one and can't say for sure.

I missed this on my first several glances at the unit, so I thought I'd point it out...
Old 7th July 2008, 10:23 PM   #5
Mikey p is offline Mikey p  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
if anyone knows of anything better off let me know.
Depends if you can handle a bigger box or not. 18 inch, 15mm Xmax, 94.2db sensitivity, $145 shipped to your door.

http://www.mach5audio.com/zen/index....roducts_id=182
Old 7th July 2008, 10:32 PM   #6
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

I'd take the sensitivity rating with a grain of salt.
Old 7th August 2008, 03:09 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

hmmm bigger is always better but damn that price just keeps going up and up, i remember when it was $58 plus $18 shipping
Old 8th August 2008, 11:37 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

http://www.chokes.com/gw15xp.html
My personal fav, it's actually around 99.2 dB with my SPL meter.
Old 8th August 2008, 03:52 PM   #9
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Hmm, without knowing all the details of your measurement it's meaningless in the scheme of things, especially since its published specs calc a ~93.2 dB/W/m half space reference efficiency, though at 2 ohms its sensitivity is ~99.22 dB/2.83 V/m (4 W).

Like any other low Qts, Xmax driver though, it takes a huge box to go low with any authority at low distortion.

GM
Old 3rd September 2008, 07:56 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

it's 99.2 in a 5 cubic foot sealed box.

Hide this!Advertise here!