Home Subwoofer setup

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey, Im getting sick of this little 4" 20 watt rms subwoofer i got and its doing no good, its bottoming out all of the time (I used it too much.. broken in i guess?) anyway i got an idea.. i have one of these subwoofers (Infinity, 300 watt rms, 12", recommended sealed box)
http://www.incarexpress.co.uk/view_product.php?partno=1250w

So i hooked it up to the 20 watt rms amplifier and its okay but theres hardly any flex and its not what i wanted, so ive been thinking about getting a home subwoofer amplifier (Uk spec) thats about 200 watt rms?

could someone recommend me a cheap good one? thanks.

If i cant do this i guess im going to have to get my infinity car amplifier and a spare car battery and a car battery charger etc..

thatotherguy said:
just to let you know, i think car audio runs of 12v, so you could just use a 12v power supply (like an old computer psu. on a computer psu the yellow wire is 12v, the black is ground.), you shouldn't need a car battery. don't know if that helps or not:D

Hey not to be annoying or anything like that but the reason car audio HAS to be powered directly from a car battery is because a car battery puts out anywhee from 40 to 70 amperes whereas a power suppy from a computer since it is hooked up to 15 amperes in a standard 120 volt power outlet cannot be convinced to put out the 60 amps or about there that a car audio amplifier requiresso you could use a car battery but it wouldnt be worth the amount of charge time for the amount of play time you would get. thats just my two cents hope it helps

mulletdude said:

Hey not to be annoying or anything like that but the reason car audio HAS to be powered directly from a car battery is because a car battery puts out anywhere from 40 to 70 amperes whereas a power suppy from a computer since it is hooked up to 15 amperes in a standard 120 volt power outlet cannot be convinced to put out the 60 amps or about there that a car audio amplifier requiresso you could use a car battery but it wouldnt be worth the amount of charge time for the amount of play time you would get. thats just my two cents hope it helps
rubbish.

The reason car audio uses 12V is because cars generally run on 12V battery systems.

All high power Car audio (>=26W into 4ohms) is converted up to higher volts and regulated to a suitable voltage for the amplifier design.

AndrewT said:
rubbish.

The reason car audio uses 12V is because cars generally run on 12V battery systems.

All high power Car audio (>=26W into 4ohms) is converted up to higher volts and regulated to a suitable voltage for the amplifier design.

i was not commenting on the voltage. the amplifier in a car audio system is designed to run off of the 40-60 amps that a car battery puts out which is why they can put out a lot more wattage than home audio because home audio has to be connected to at least 220 volts to get the same amperage. read more fully before you knock some ones post

"i was not commenting on the voltage. the amplifier in a car audio system is designed to run off of the 40-60 amps that a car battery puts out which is why they can put out a lot more wattage than home audio because home audio has to be connected to at least 220 volts to get the same amperage. read more fully before you knock some ones post"

60 amps at 13.8 volts equals 828 watts...

15 amps at 120 volts equals 1800 watts...

So how do you figure that you can get more power from a car system?

@mulletdude

watts are relavent accross voltage

240w at 12v is 20amp
240w at 240v is 1amp

so if you can draw 10amp from a 240v (2400w) wall socket you can get 200amp at 12v (2400w) using a transformer/smps
provided it is 100% effectent (which it isent)

learn some basic electrical princaples before you start having a go at people :)

mulletdude said:
I was not commenting on the voltage. the amplifier in a car audio system is designed to run off of the 40-60 amps that a car battery puts out which is why they can put out a lot more wattage than home audio because home audio has to be connected to at least 220 volts to get the same amperage. Read more fully before you knock some ones post
Hi,
it is obvious you forget to think through the effect the supply voltage has on the system performance in your original post.
Now your reply shows you are incapable of any logical thinking.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.