Wrms, FS or xmax - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd June 2008, 07:34 PM   #1
onform is offline onform  England
diyAudio Member

Default Wrms, FS or xmax

I'm intending on building a stereo subwoofer system using multiple small drivers, (4* 5 1/4 or 6 1/2 per channel.

my Q: As im using smaller drivers which of the above figures is of most importance, i'm after transients and impact rather than sheer spl and i really dont want boom. im also aware that ultimate extension will be compromised due to small cones but if you have any suggestions on loading that would be great.

Matt
Old 23rd June 2008, 11:28 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Don't pin performance down on one or two parameters, as all of them together describe one driver. For what you're describing I would look more at other parameters anyway.

Consider the enclosure type as well.

Wkr Johan
Old 23rd June 2008, 05:00 PM   #3
onform is offline onform  England
diyAudio Member

Default which other parameters?

Which other parameters do you speak of?

I was wondering which parameters will affect transient response or large peaks in musical performance the most.

The enclosures will have a thin profile, (not much wider than the width of the drivers), just over a metre tall and the depth will be determined by the specific driver requirements Vas, qts etc. they will be made from laminated mdf and braced with a matrix to reduce standing waves.
Old 24th June 2008, 06:58 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

The one I know about is Le, lower beng better. Others I've seen using BL/Mms(Mmd). I guess you can see the correlation there. BL should be seen in respect to Re.

If TR is a matter of how fast/well the loudspeaker diaphragm returns to it's resting state slash equilibrium I would aspect Cms and Qms beng important parameters.

To be honest, I cannot imagine such a forum as this isn't overwhelmed with topics about what achieves TR but I've never looked into it so I can't be sure.

Regards Johan
Old 24th June 2008, 07:09 PM   #5
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

For a sub-woofer you won't have problems with speed, by definition it only sees relatively slow signals. You need to focus not on specific parameters, but how the collection of parameters allows the speaker to perform in your given box volume allowance, then you need to examine what kind of power input you need for your desired SPL. For a sub-woofer Xmax is probably the most important parameter, but it's linked into several other parameters.

The best way is to pick a few drivers you like the look/price of and do some modelling. Svante's Basta! is good.

Hide this!Advertise here!