best cone profile for sub ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am looking at the beyma SM118/N for a dancemusic woofer (small trance music parties) for the 35hz to 50 hz bandwidth only (with computer hipass and lowpass filters).
The main downside I see to the SM118/N for my lowbass use is its curved (exponential) cone profile (instead of the usual corrugated STRAIGHT cones).

I know that those curved cones are better for mid frequencies directivity reasons but what is their disadvantage for bass use (compared to usual sub/bass straight cones) ?
Also what is the purpose of corrugated cones for sub/bass use ?

SM118/N datasheet
http://profesional.beyma.com/ENGLISH/pdf/descarga.php?pdf=SM-118 N.pdf

thank you very much

Thank you very much
Ok so for mids quality exponential cone is better while for bass it is not really worse than straight, that's it ?
So exponential cone is not really a downside even for a bass only driver.

Also for low power and sub only use cone has not to be very strong and thick to stay pistonic, right ?

Why do you think it is best to stick to curved cones for home use ?

Have you ever seen or used the SM118/N or SM118 (in fact it is SM118 that I am going to buy : do you know the differences with the newer SM118/N) ?

I intend it to use these woofers for dance parties in corner of a big dedicated room but what pleases me with it is its quite low MMS and I will only put 150W RMS on each sm118N for the 35 to 50 hz band only so I think a 3" voice coil is enough.

I am hesitating between bass reflex or 4th order bandpass or 6th order bandpass depending on actual ThieleSmall parameters. I want best sensitivity in the 35 to 50 hz band.

Eva said:
There is little useful stuff in the 35-50Hz range. Consider reinforcing 45Hz-250Hz instead. A corner horn may do the job.

I second to that. Especially for trance music, the most important range (beside midrange, of course) is midbass, where the kick is (80...120 Hz). 50...80 Hz it's that rumbling gut wrenching bassline during breakdowns, below 50 Hz - practically nothing.

I'd suggest ES-18BPH. High pass it at 50 Hz and low pass at 150 Hz, and it should be very good for trance music.

Concerning the subject :
Is straight cone more common for bass specific woofers and subwoofers because it is simpler/cheaper to make OR are there benefits to straight cone for bass (examples coming from my brain : cuping more air volume, stronger cone for higher power, more pistonic shape at low frequencies, less paper material so lighter ...) ?

Also anybody has seen or heard the beyma SM118 or SM118/N ?

Now about trance
I don't know if the trance you are hearing is psychedelic trance (=psytance, goatrance even progressive trance) like I ambut in it according to my experimentations as of now it seems to me "WEIGHT" is between 40 and 50 and reducing or filtering it is really missing something : it becomes boring, empty, lean and I do not want to dance anymore !
No problem in loosing 35 hz and under but 35 hz to 50 band seems REALLY needed :
Without it I do not feel any power in the sound !
With it I appreciate more my music even when at volumes less louder. AND I also have the will to turn up volume.

Now maybe my filters are not sharp enough so I could in fact be liking/missing 50 to 60hz band but I don't think and I really do not want to end up with those empty/lean and too punchy (so harsh) discotech systems sound.

technofreak said:

I second to that. Especially for trance music, the most important range (beside midrange, of course) is midbass, where the kick is (80...120 Hz). 50...80 Hz it's that rumbling gut wrenching bassline during breakdowns, below 50 Hz - practically nothing.
I'd suggest ES-18BPH. High pass it at 50 Hz and low pass at 150 Hz, and it should be very good for trance music.

Now about trance
I don't know if the trance you are hearing is psychedelic trance (=psytance, goatrance even progressive trance) like I ambut in it according to my experimentations as of now it seems to me "WEIGHT" is between 40 and 50 and reducing or filtering it is really missing something : it becomes boring, empty, lean and I do not want to dance anymore !
No problem in loosing 35 hz and under but 35 hz to 50 band seems REALLY needed :
Without it I do not feel any power in the sound !
With it I appreciate more my music even when at volumes less louder. AND I also have the will to turn up volume.

Now maybe my filters are not sharp enough so I could in fact be liking/missing 50 to 60hz band but I don't think and I really do not want to end up with those empty/lean and too punchy (so harsh) discotech systems sound.

Mostly psy/goa here. My speakers use fullrange drivers and go to 50 Hz, and I don't miss anything. 35 Hz is that strange rumble, like a big diesel on idle, that won't shake you very well (unless it's VERY loud, which in PA case needs impractically big speakers), but put on 55 Hz sine wave and turn it up - it doesn't need to be excessively loud, but it is the approx. resonant frequency of chest cavity. Furthermore, I have a recording here - Marillion "Tales from the engine room" - which spectral analysis shows no bass below 50 Hz (probably highpass filter applied), yet it's one of the punchiest records I've heard.

I quess that too shallow filters set at 50 Hz could cause loss of 50...60 band. Use at least 4th order.

This weekend I listened to goa/psy trance amongst other music styles on my newish 15" tapped horn (f3; 20 Hz). Normally I use a 18" tuned to 46 Hz. Both with a 25 Hz, 12 dB/octave high pass.

The goa trance was one of few music styles that did make the tapped horn come to live when crossed low. The added effect was hard to define yet positively present.

I've done some (100+) goa trance parties in the past with the mentioned 18" high passed at 45 Hz, 24 dB/ octave (for increased powerhandling) and got complemented by the DJ's/crowd for the sound.

So in the end I guess you can use anything you like and still enjoy the result, without apparently missing a thing. But if you feel the need for 35 Hz than go for 35 Hz (at least use a highpass @ 25 Hz or higher). The loudspeaker you suggest should be Ok for small parties, in a reflex tuned to Fs or higher. You can always build a bigger/ more sensitive cabinet when needed.

PS. I should mention I also use 4 x 12" for 60 Hz and up.

Regards Johan

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.