best cone profile for sub ? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th June 2008, 04:25 PM   #1
ejaouen is offline ejaouen  France
diyAudio Member

Default best cone profile for sub ?

I am looking at the beyma SM118/N for a dancemusic woofer (small trance music parties) for the 35hz to 50 hz bandwidth only (with computer hipass and lowpass filters).
The main downside I see to the SM118/N for my lowbass use is its curved (exponential) cone profile (instead of the usual corrugated STRAIGHT cones).

I know that those curved cones are better for mid frequencies directivity reasons but what is their disadvantage for bass use (compared to usual sub/bass straight cones) ?
Also what is the purpose of corrugated cones for sub/bass use ?

SM118/N datasheet
http://profesional.beyma.com/ENGLISH...SM-118%20N.pdf

thank you very much
Old 12th June 2008, 11:57 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Doesn't matter as long as it stays pistonic in its intended reproduction spectrum. A simple truncated cone is fine.
Old 13th June 2008, 09:33 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thank you very much
Ok so for mids quality exponential cone is better while for bass it is not really worse than straight, that's it ?
So exponential cone is not really a downside even for a bass only driver.

Also for low power and sub only use cone has not to be very strong and thick to stay pistonic, right ?
Old 13th June 2008, 10:47 AM   #4
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

Fore normal home use I think its best to stick to curved cones

SM118N is only sligtly curved and still a deep cone ... I think it looks nice fore a closed box and home audio
Old 13th June 2008, 12:13 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Why do you think it is best to stick to curved cones for home use ?

Have you ever seen or used the SM118/N or SM118 (in fact it is SM118 that I am going to buy : do you know the differences with the newer SM118/N) ?

I intend it to use these woofers for dance parties in corner of a big dedicated room but what pleases me with it is its quite low MMS and I will only put 150W RMS on each sm118N for the 35 to 50 hz band only so I think a 3" voice coil is enough.

I am hesitating between bass reflex or 4th order bandpass or 6th order bandpass depending on actual ThieleSmall parameters. I want best sensitivity in the 35 to 50 hz band.
Old 13th June 2008, 03:20 PM   #6
Eva is offline Eva  Spain
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Eva
There is little useful stuff in the 35-50Hz range. Consider reinforcing 45Hz-250Hz instead. A corner horn may do the job.
Old 13th June 2008, 03:31 PM   #7
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

How about the "Labhorn"

http://www.prosoundweb.com/lsp/
Old 14th June 2008, 10:10 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to technofreak
Quote:
Originally posted by Eva
There is little useful stuff in the 35-50Hz range. Consider reinforcing 45Hz-250Hz instead. A corner horn may do the job.

I second to that. Especially for trance music, the most important range (beside midrange, of course) is midbass, where the kick is (80...120 Hz). 50...80 Hz it's that rumbling gut wrenching bassline during breakdowns, below 50 Hz - practically nothing.

I'd suggest ES-18BPH. High pass it at 50 Hz and low pass at 150 Hz, and it should be very good for trance music.
Old 14th June 2008, 11:09 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

A lot of the guys over at speakerplans used to love the HD15 horns for hard dance music. You'd need a few of them though,

Rob.
Old 14th June 2008, 10:19 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Concerning the subject :
Is straight cone more common for bass specific woofers and subwoofers because it is simpler/cheaper to make OR are there benefits to straight cone for bass (examples coming from my brain : cuping more air volume, stronger cone for higher power, more pistonic shape at low frequencies, less paper material so lighter ...) ?

Also anybody has seen or heard the beyma SM118 or SM118/N ?

Now about trance
I don't know if the trance you are hearing is psychedelic trance (=psytance, goatrance even progressive trance) like I ambut in it according to my experimentations as of now it seems to me "WEIGHT" is between 40 and 50 and reducing or filtering it is really missing something : it becomes boring, empty, lean and I do not want to dance anymore !
No problem in loosing 35 hz and under but 35 hz to 50 band seems REALLY needed :
Without it I do not feel any power in the sound !
With it I appreciate more my music even when at volumes less louder. AND I also have the will to turn up volume.

Now maybe my filters are not sharp enough so I could in fact be liking/missing 50 to 60hz band but I don't think and I really do not want to end up with those empty/lean and too punchy (so harsh) discotech systems sound.

Quote:
Originally posted by technofreak

I second to that. Especially for trance music, the most important range (beside midrange, of course) is midbass, where the kick is (80...120 Hz). 50...80 Hz it's that rumbling gut wrenching bassline during breakdowns, below 50 Hz - practically nothing.
I'd suggest ES-18BPH. High pass it at 50 Hz and low pass at 150 Hz, and it should be very good for trance music.

Hide this!Advertise here!