This driver suitable for OB?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello, I am looking for candidates for OB stereo bass. They will be paired with line arrays playing mostly music, with home theater duty part time...I have a 150 dollar budget for drivers only, and between 100-200 watts per side (haven't decided how I am going to power them yet)...

What are your impressions of this driver? http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=290-386

Granted, it has a low xmax, but with a woofer so large and great T/S parameters, it should work fairly well.

Also, what cabinet would you guys recommend? I am leaning towards a U-baffle because of its increased extension.

GM

Joined 2003
Well, it's hard to say how wide they will need to be due to the room and where you want to put them, but my SWAG without simming is ~30-36". Regardless, with plenty of power handling/efficiency down low, you can probably get by with less plus EQ.

Anyway, let us know how they perform, I'm curious about the driver's SQ on an OB.

GM

GM said:
Well, it's hard to say how wide they will need to be due to the room and where you want to put them, but my SWAG without simming is ~30-36". Regardless, with plenty of power handling/efficiency down low, you can probably get by with less plus EQ.

Anyway, let us know how they perform, I'm curious about the driver's SQ on an OB.

GM
I'll be sure to update once I get everything up and running...I should build the line arrays within the next couple weeks. The subs will be built most likely in a month or so...

Thanks again for your help...

I'd been looking more at their home audio drivers of similar size. They have a listed Fs of 29, so no real difference there, but they have a Qts of 1.95 so I'm not sure how that will go. We'll all definitely be interested in your report of how these hopefully nicer drivers (the home ones are under $30 each so I'd sure hope that 2x the $$ makes them nicer) sound.

Kensai

See MJK's study of this driver !!

Hello, I am looking for candidates for OB stereo bass....
What are your impressions of this driver? Goldwood GW-1858 18" Pro Woofer

Granted, it has a low xmax, but with a woofer so large and great T/S parameters, it should work fairly well.

Also, what cabinet would you guys recommend? I am leaning towards a U-baffle because of its increased extension.

Hi, Martin J King did a full sim study and compared to the measured build using exactly this driver. It works VERY well in an H-frame. Good choice!

Here's his study: http://www.quarter-wave.com/Project08/Passive_Crossover.pdf

Also a 20" by 20" U-Frame would also be really good with this if you like the idea of the enclosure being shallow and less obtrusive. You could make it look like an electrostat panel enclosure, wide and shallow.

A smaller but also attractive option is the Eminence Alpha 15a...but you're not really saving all that much either in size or $.

Check MJK's simulator

I'd been looking more at their home audio drivers of similar size. They have a listed Fs of 29, so no real difference there, but they have a Qts of 1.95 so I'm not sure how that will go. We'll all definitely be interested in your report of how these hopefully nicer drivers (the home ones are under $30 each so I'd sure hope that 2x the $$ makes them nicer) sound.

Kensai

That's a very high Q but it'll still work OK. You could run sims on this using MJK's simulators. It works quite well for OB. It's only $25 for a license to access it, and worth a LOT more than that. MJK is providing us with a great tool.

Quarter Wavelength Loudspeaker Design

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.