Subwoofer amplifiers in the uk? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th June 2008, 03:52 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Subwoofer amplifiers in the uk?

Hi all.

I live in the uk, and recently got hold of an 8 inch rel subwoofer driver intended for use in about a foot cubed enclosure (I think).

I want to build an enclosure for it and make a little subwoofer for my room at university, but I need an amp as well. This sort of thing would be perfect, but I can't find anything remotely similar available on this side of the pond. Does anybody have any idea where I might find something?

Parts express do ship overseas, but the power is incompatible - here in the uk we use 240v real man's electricity, none of this pansy 110 volt rubbish .

Any ideas from fellow uk diyers?

Sam
Old 9th June 2008, 04:01 PM   #2
Wizard of Kelts
diyAudio Moderator

http://www.bkelec.com/Modules/Sub_Bass.htm

Click on the model you are interested in for the info.

A DJ friend from Cork, Ireland orders from these people all the time, says they are very good.
Old 9th June 2008, 08:09 PM   #3
Wizard of Kelts
diyAudio Moderator

PS:

I would check with BK to see if their 100 watt sub amp has a variable crossover. They list the frequency range up to 240 Hz, but the guess here is that one of those knobs is for adjusting the crossover frequency.
Old 9th June 2008, 08:14 PM   #4
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Hi,
a add on sub for a university dorm may be the best way to get evicted.
Old 9th June 2008, 08:46 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Well next year I'm in a house with people I know so it should be ok.

Those uk amp sellers look very good, but expensive. I was really not looking to spend more than about 120 in total.

I might see if I can get a half decent second hand sub off ebay, a rel quake or something. I wish we had US prices over here...

Thanks for the help.

Sam
Old 9th June 2008, 09:10 PM   #6
Wizard of Kelts
diyAudio Moderator

Sammy:

Just thought I would point out that the BSBP 100 actually costs a little less than 120 , and it's power is about the same as the Dayton unit you specified.

Still, if you can get a cheaper deal, by all means go for it.
Old 9th June 2008, 09:26 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

kelticwizard, yes I saw the BSBP 100

I meant less than 120 in total on the entire amp. If I spend 111 on the amp, I have already spent 20 on a driver, then I have to build my own case (very difficult to make it look good).

I wonder if I could get more bang for the buck going second hand...

Sam
Old 9th June 2008, 09:34 PM   #8
Wizard of Kelts
diyAudio Moderator

Well, I assume the driver you are getting is second hand, so if you want to make this "best bang for the buck", a second hand sub amp, if available, would be the best way to go.

Over here, subwoofers have a tendency to find themselves in yard sales, etc. The drivers might not be as good as your Rel driver, but I suspect most sub amps are made at the same factory in China and the only difference between them is the power rating and the label. So the amp from a cheap sub, assuming it is listed as being of comparable power, is probably the same as the amps from better subs with the same power rating.

In your situation, I would go second hand if possible.
Old 9th June 2008, 09:52 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

In that case, perhaps a second hand sealed box and amp from a cheap chinese manufacturer with the rel driver might be an idea?

Are the cheap amps good enough do you think? I want this sub for listening to music more than movies - accurate bass is more important than raw power to me.

Sam
Old 9th June 2008, 10:11 PM   #10
Wizard of Kelts
diyAudio Moderator

I don't know what amps Rel uses but it would not surprise me if it was from the same Chinese factory so many other manufacturers use, and where Parts Express gets it's amps as well.

I get a chuckle looking over subwoofers from different manufacturers and seeing what looks like the same sub amp in all of them, from store to store. I am not saying there are no sub manufacturers using different amps, but the Dayton amp is a dead ringer for the types of amps I see in most subwoofers. So if you were all set to buy the Dayton amp, (Parts Express' own brand), I would feel safe in buying a functional second hand sub with a similar power rating and using the amp. Whether you want to use the cabinet as well from the old sub is up to you, some of those can be rather cheaply made. Use your own judgment there.

Hide this!Advertise here!