Budget Subwoofer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Alright.. I'm tired of the RE SX18 and I want to upgrade. I'm looking at subs that will be able to take the power from the beringer 2400 watt amp that PE has for sale. I waqnt to keep it under 4-500 dollars for the woofer(s). I'd like to do 1 or 2 18"s, but I could also go down to 2 15"s if needed. Does anyone have suggestions? I'd like to get the IXL18s from mach 5, but I dont know if mark can get them in a 8 ohm version. I'm also thinking possible 4 of the m-series 18"s except he's sold out of the 4 ohm versions. Another consideration is the Audioque 18" but I'm worried that it's too SPL oriented. Any ideas?

Sorry, I forgot about some of the details. It's mainly for watching movies. Size limitations... well it's pretty much unlimited. But saying that I know some of you will come up with some crazy ideas so lets say... if I did two enclosures, I have 8' ceilings, approx 42" wide, and 18-24" deep. I'm addicted to lows, so that's what it'd have to do. As for the fellow selling the MJs, you'd have to give me a really good deal as I'm about 500 miles from Mach 5s home base.

With the EP2500 you would run one 4 ohm IXL-18 per channel. I have a pair of these subs, each 12 cubic feet tuned to 16 hz. Each is powered by a 360 watt plate amp and it's more then enough.
Should you decide to go with the MJ-18's, be aware they are being updated to the MJ-18M, with a lower Fs and higher Xmax. They should be available in a couple of weeks.

Even though the LABhorn is fairly large(45"x45"x22.5"),it really doesn't take up all that much space...This is the optimum placement for corner loading,29" from the corner. One on each side is highly recommended...If you wanted to get completely insane,you could stack a second pair on top,and place a screen in front to hide them.

I only have 400 w/ch,and have popped drywall nails,and knocked things off of shelves in the kitchen with just one,so 4 might be a bit of overkill:)

Tapped horns also work very well.and are easier to build,so that would be another possibility.See the tapped horn thread if you haven't already.

http://www.uploadimage.org/images/5lnksh2mqffaosc605p.jpg

Well I think that I've pretty much decided on the new MJs that Mark has coming out. Hey mikey, are you in Saskatoon? If possible I'd like to see your IXLs. As for the horns, I have no idea how to design/build one, so unless you guys are willing to teach me, I'll probably stick to ported.

You should wait and see what the specs are on the new MJ-18M. Although they are improved, they won't be able to match the output of the IXL-18.
I'm 2 1/2 hours north of you in Chitek Lake. If you're ever in the area, give me a call and I'll give you a demonstration. I'm currently running a pair of IXL-18's and a pair of Ascendant Audio Atlas 15's. Gives new meaning to "low end output"!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.