ACI SV12 in small aperiodic or sealed box? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th May 2008, 10:04 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Cool ACI SV12 in small aperiodic or sealed box?

Has anyone tried the older ACI SV12 subwoofer in a small (2 cubic foot) enclosure?

http://subwoofers.cc/HomeAud/HDrivers/SV12b.asp

I wanted to know if aperiodic had any advantages over sealed. I can't model aperiodic in WinISD. Any input would be appreciated. I have the wood already cut but for the woofer and amp holes. Wondering if i should purchase an aperiodic vent from PE. Any thoughts or experiences. Also, if anyone has put this driver into a 3cf or larger box please let me know how it turned out for you.

Godzilla
Old 6th May 2008, 11:04 PM   #2
stee-b is offline stee-b  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hello Godzilla!

I've used this driver for about 5-6 years. It was my first subwoofer in the home. Initially it was built into a ~100 litre box sealed and fully stuffed.

Now I had nothing to compare it to except ICE style subs I'd built, but I was impressed. Went deep and plenty loud enough, but seemed to blend reasonably well with my speakers of the time

I kept it like this for a year or two, but when SWMBO wanted to change things about in the living room it was ordered from the room. I managed to squeeze it in to a ~60 liter box again fully stuffed.

It was alright but I felt it needed a bit more power (for the same levels) and more (internal) room wouldn't have hurt it. I toyed with aperiodic loading and also the 3rd order system, but I managed to convince the other half to let the 100l box back in the room. Much better IMO.

It was retired last year as I couldn't find another to try isobarik in a smaller box and the poor little so 'n so's been in the loft since.

I upgraded to some drivers from ebay. IIRC they were modified LAB12 drivers from a company in the UK called BK Electronics as used in their Monolith subwoofer.
The SV12 didn't compare too well in their company, being dwarfed in magnet size and in weight

If you can sort an aperiodic loaded box give it a try. You can easily cover the 'port' with another piece of MDF/ply etc.

If I'd never had have heard it in the larger box I think I'd have been happy with the smaller box. I think....

Good luck!

Steve
Old 7th May 2008, 12:10 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

>>> I managed to convince the other half to let the 100l box back in the room. Much better IMO.

Ooooohhh! That's good info. Thanks!

>>> If you can sort an aperiodic loaded box give it a try. You can easily cover the 'port' with another piece of MDF...

And that is great advice. Thanks again.

When i model it using WinISD i want to put it into at least a 3 or 4 cf vented box but cannot fit it into my room... maybe a 3cf vented. Anyone here build one or hear one?

Godzilla
Old 7th May 2008, 12:10 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

>>> I managed to convince the other half to let the 100l box back in the room. Much better IMO.

Ooooohhh! That's good info. Thanks!

>>> If you can sort an aperiodic loaded box give it a try. You can easily cover the 'port' with another piece of MDF...

And that is great advice. Thanks again.

When i model it using WinISD i want to put it into at least a 3 or 4 cf vented box but cannot fit it into my room... maybe a 3cf vented. Anyone here build one or hear one?

Godzilla
Old 7th May 2008, 03:12 PM   #5
bjorno is offline bjorno  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to bjorno
FYI, The ACI SV12 simulated in aperiodic 3-4 cu ft enclosures: 1(3)-3(3)

b

1(3)
Attached Images
File Type: gif aci sv12_aper1.gif (30.1 KB, 183 views)
Old 7th May 2008, 03:13 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

2(3)
Attached Images
File Type: gif aci sv12_aper2.gif (50.3 KB, 178 views)
Old 7th May 2008, 03:15 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

3(3)
Attached Images
File Type: gif aci sv12_aper3.gif (22.4 KB, 165 views)
Old 7th May 2008, 10:39 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I've had that driver in the ACI 1.8 ft ^3 aperiodic box. System Q was a little high for my liking, by memory someting around 1.0.

Old 7th May 2008, 11:48 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

>>> System Q was a little high for my liking, by memory someting around 1.0.

So sonically, this meant it was a little ripe or full sounding? Please describe what it sounded like.

Thanks,
Godzilla
Old 8th May 2008, 06:07 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the sims bjorno! Looks pretty flat. Maybe aperiodic is a good idea. Could i ask you to sim a 2cf box too using aperiodic? I would like to compare it to the same 2cf box sealed. This way i can determine if i need to cut another hole before building. Many thanks!

Godzilla

Hide this!Advertise here!