ACI SV12 in small aperiodic or sealed box?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Has anyone tried the older ACI SV12 subwoofer in a small (2 cubic foot) enclosure?

http://subwoofers.cc/HomeAud/HDrivers/SV12b.asp

I wanted to know if aperiodic had any advantages over sealed. I can't model aperiodic in WinISD. Any input would be appreciated. I have the wood already cut but for the woofer and amp holes. Wondering if i should purchase an aperiodic vent from PE. Any thoughts or experiences. Also, if anyone has put this driver into a 3cf or larger box please let me know how it turned out for you.

Godzilla

Hello Godzilla!

I've used this driver for about 5-6 years. It was my first subwoofer in the home. Initially it was built into a ~100 litre box sealed and fully stuffed.

Now I had nothing to compare it to except ICE style subs I'd built, but I was impressed. Went deep and plenty loud enough, but seemed to blend reasonably well with my speakers of the time

I kept it like this for a year or two, but when SWMBO wanted to change things about in the living room it was ordered from the room. I managed to squeeze it in to a ~60 liter box again fully stuffed.

It was alright but I felt it needed a bit more power (for the same levels) and more (internal) room wouldn't have hurt it. I toyed with aperiodic loading and also the 3rd order system, but I managed to convince the other half to let the 100l box back in the room. Much better IMO.

It was retired last year as I couldn't find another to try isobarik in a smaller box and the poor little so 'n so's been in the loft since.

I upgraded to some drivers from ebay. IIRC they were modified LAB12 drivers from a company in the UK called BK Electronics as used in their Monolith subwoofer.
The SV12 didn't compare too well in their company, being dwarfed in magnet size and in weight :D

If you can sort an aperiodic loaded box give it a try. You can easily cover the 'port' with another piece of MDF/ply etc.

If I'd never had have heard it in the larger box I think I'd have been happy with the smaller box. I think....:devilr:

Good luck!

Steve

>>> I managed to convince the other half to let the 100l box back in the room. Much better IMO.

Ooooohhh! That's good info. Thanks!

>>> If you can sort an aperiodic loaded box give it a try. You can easily cover the 'port' with another piece of MDF...

And that is great advice. Thanks again.

When i model it using WinISD i want to put it into at least a 3 or 4 cf vented box but cannot fit it into my room... maybe a 3cf vented. Anyone here build one or hear one?

Godzilla

>>> I managed to convince the other half to let the 100l box back in the room. Much better IMO.

Ooooohhh! That's good info. Thanks!

>>> If you can sort an aperiodic loaded box give it a try. You can easily cover the 'port' with another piece of MDF...

And that is great advice. Thanks again.

When i model it using WinISD i want to put it into at least a 3 or 4 cf vented box but cannot fit it into my room... maybe a 3cf vented. Anyone here build one or hear one?

Godzilla

FYI, The ACI SV12 simulated in aperiodic 3-4 cu ft enclosures: 1(3)-3(3)

b

1(3)

Attachments

• aci sv12_aper1.gif
    aci sv12_aper1.gif
    30.1 KB · Views: 217
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.