How should I implement these...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have two of these:
Peerless CSX-257W
24 cm bass driver with sandwich cone.
power handling (continuous/programme) = 120 / 160 W
resonance frequency fs = 28 Hz
impedance R = 8 Ohm
SPL = 88,2 dB (2,83V; 1m)
Re = 5,5 Ohm
BL = 10 N/A
L = 2,9 mH
Sd = 330 cm2
effective mechanical mass incl. air load 51,9 g
Vas = 144 l
Qts = 0,35 (Qms=2,56, Qes=0,4)
xmax = +/- 9 mm
mounting diameter d = 220 mm
overall diameter d = 257 mm
mounting depth (not countersunk) t = 99,6 mm

I want to build a sub, but not just any sealed or bass reflex sub.
I want something, anything slightly different. It doesn't have to be small but ridiculously large is also out of the question. It will likely be powered by a plate amp or sub amp like the one from Reckhorn.

I was thinking about isobaric, or TL variations. or an isobaric TL iso MLTL, a tapped horn.

I want it to go deep as possible while still being relatively clean. Basically I really only want the lowest octave or maybe on up to 50 or 60Hz.

My room is about 6m x 6m with an 1,75m opening into another 5m x 5m room. I get good extension with my mains (4- 4" tangbands in a small array BR loading per side) but the last octave is clearly missing.

So anyone with any cool ideas, please share.

This is only an idea. A BR box, a 4.order bandpass and a 6.order bandpass sub.
The 4.order doesn't need protection against over excursion.
Boxes 1 and 3 need protection under 25Hz for cone excursion (as an example). When you are set you will be able to choose between TL, Isobaric, BR, PR, Horn, Bandpass or other.

Peerless CSX-257W sub

Attachments

• 1_transfer function.gif
    1_transfer function.gif
    47.9 KB · Views: 314
flaevor said:
interesting suggestions. Just out of curiosity what makes you tend towards bandpass?

If you don't like it you don't have to eat it. Maybe you know already what you want and I am just showing off. I said it's only some suggestions or "an idea". I am not "towards" anything if it doesn't work out for you.

You said: "I want it to go deep as possible while still being relatively clean. Basically I really only want the lowest octave or maybe on up to 50 or 60Hz."..."I get good extension with my mains (4- 4" tangbands in a small array BR loading per side) but the last octave is clearly missing.", you decide. Look at it as an exercise to compare with other options that you will have.

these (now unobtainable) drivers are almost too good to use for sub duty only, they have excellent low distortion response up to over 1.6 Khz, probably best used as a woofer in a 3-way. I'm getting good results using them in 90L BR cabinets tuned to the high 20s, but if you want something different, how about sealed cabinets around 40L and a Linkwitz Transform filter?

Greets!

Well, a single is so big in a simple fold end loaded TH like I previously suggested that it takes an offset driver DSL DTS concept (DTS-10, 20, SPUD) to minimize bulk, complicating folding.

Anyway, it's still big at ~220 L/~413 L net for ones that load down to ~40 Hz/~28 Hz where it starts running out of excursion:

GM

Attachments

• Peerless CSX-257W ~17 Hz DTS concept - specs.gif
    Peerless CSX-257W ~17 Hz DTS concept - specs.gif
    6.6 KB · Views: 41
  • Peerless CSX-257W ~11 Hz DTS concept - specs.gif
    Peerless CSX-257W ~11 Hz DTS concept - specs.gif
    6.7 KB · Views: 41
  • Peerless CSX-257W TH comparison.gif
    Peerless CSX-257W TH comparison.gif
    20.2 KB · Views: 38
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.