need help designing 15" folded horn.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
I have 6 JBL 2226H 15" drivers for which I intend to use as the bass element in a system I'm building. I want to go down the horn route but am not sure what would be the best suited design for these drivers. I intend to run some sort of kick bin ( like HD15) above them so response above 100hz probably won't be necessary and low end around 40hz ish would be nice. I intend to run 3 per side, so with mouth coupling they should get reasonably low? Does any one know of, or have plans for an existing design in which these drivers will fulfill this role or do I have to go down the Design route? I have a rough design drawn up but as I'm no expert, I am a bit reluctant to go off building boxes that may well sound crap and and could damage the drivers? Any comments or advice would be gratefully welcomed. The drawing I have come up with is basically (I think) an exponential flare starting with a throat of 398cm2 with a length of 215cm to a mouth of 4071cm2 I think this roughly equates to a 1/4 wave @ 40hz I have squeezed this horn into a box that has a frontal ( horn mouth ) area of about 93.6cm width x 46.8 Height and is about 87cm deep Which is fairly big! Cheers.

Thanks Horexx. looks similar to old Fane 18" design. there seems to be quite allot of wasted space in the box? The response looks pretty flat with such tight folds? I could probably trade some of the upper bass for more low end- and greater power handling? Cheers for the suggestion. Duck.

Duck1,

there is wasted space, but the folding is straight forward and how should it be omitted?

I use the horn up to 500 Hz. I have slightly modified the folding, so that the acoustic waves are reflected. better.
(The upper frequency limit is not restricted by the lower end but the volume between cone and throat has influence beside the cone mass and other factors.)

My speaker in this horn showes no power limits (ca. 110 dB/W/m and 400W per speaker)

I used Hornresponse for some simulations.

Horexx

Hi Horexx, What I mean by lowering the upper limit is that if I give the speaker less program frequency to handle, then its power rating in the narrower pass band will be higher? i.e 150hz range will use less power ( and therefore will have greater headroom) than 450hz range. Is this correct? Because I want to try and get down to 40hz I would try to use all the available space in the box to get the horn length as long as possible. what do you think?

How about 110dB for three drivers in 2Pi, mouth of each horn about 50cm square.

JBL2226Hx3.gif

Hi Djk,
I am interseted in the data you have posted. Is this for a tapped horn? I assume its 3 separate enclosures? 110db at 33hz sounds pretty cool! I am not too familiar with tapped horns, what sort of size would this box be and how would the internals be laid out? Isn't 33hz below resonance for the 2226H, does this matter?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.