More bass

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I have been using a pair of Castle Harlechs for several years bi-amped, and I have enjoyed them. What I have done is kidded myself that the bass they give me is what I need - it doesn't!

Freeing myself from the clutches of insanity I now need to invest in a Subwoofer. I am not sure that one off the shelf would do I may be wrong. My listening is music not films (I think that makes a difference?). Room size about 21ft x 11ft. I can spend around 800USD

What would you recommend? Ideas would be gratefully received.

Regards

Brownlow

I am really happy with my Dayton RS hifi 12" subs; I have two four ohm versions which are wired in series and driven with 250 watts. They will play plenty loud. I like it loud.

If I had that budget, I would buy four of those. Then put a pair of them in two four cubic foot sealed boxes. Stereo bass! Q 0.7 Fb 35hz. Mount the drivers opposing each other to cancel vibrations, and power them with at least 250 watts. preferably 1000 watts. : )
You can always start with two.

The sub
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/show...464&vReviewShow=1&vReviewRand=8013660#reviews

Wire each pair in series and both pairs in parallel for a four ohm sub. 92 db per watt maybe.
bass is fun!

oooooh, I neglected that you live in the UK...

Thanks for all of your replies.

You know, I thought I would receive a straight forward solution, but I guess (as it's DIY), I probably had no right to think that way.

I think horns are a bit out of my depth and on the large side for my room. I still wanted to keep the Harlechs, I just desired a deeper bass.

Scottmoose, that sub looks quite a challenge, how much does it cost?

Cheers

Brownlow

That'd depend on the drivers & amp you decided to use, and also how low you wanted to go. I haven't built a pair myself, though it's a relatively well known idea, & shouldn't be too pricy, even though sonotube is a bit harder to get hold of here in the UK than in the US. Somewhere like Essex tubes should be able to help out. http://www.essextubes.co.uk/home.html Alternatively, just build a column of the same CSA (whatever is required / desired) & job done.

the room is not big too much. don't think to has a big box in your room.
vent or sealed box is not big too much for your room. it's suitable to use it. the sub for music has the problem very much. the original 10-12" driver that the mass of cone is very much. i saw b&w that they used the Kevlar or carbon fibre cone. the mass of cone driver is not too much. it will be better if u use it with your old speaker. here is the best choice. and i ever found some company in thailand use this driver for music. they told in magazine that this cone is the best for a little speaker.

http://www.hometheaterstore.com/B_W_ASW750_12_Active_Subwoofer_1000_WATT_p/asw750.htm

A single 12 inch sub, a 1.25 cubic foot sealed enclosure, is enough to hear up the street with a big enough amplifier. The best part is the simplicity and low cost of such a subwoofer.

I used a Sony P5 4 ohm car subwoofer because of the good low-end response, and got great results and solid, heavy bass..

In my view, there's absolutely nothing wrong with going the vented-box route, especially if you're newer to subwoofing, or budget-minded. Phone up John Janowitz of AE Speakers (http://www.aespeakers.com) and ask about his "closeout woofers". They're limited-run woofers built with excess parts from old product lines, and they'll greatly outperform anything else you can find for the price, just about. They're also hand-built in the USA, a rarity among sub driver manufacturers.

My recommended combo is the C12.1 woofer in a 4 cubic-foot enclosure, tuned between 20 and 25 Hz. You, my friend, will be subwoofing to some of the cleanest bass out there. Pair with the Parts Express 500-watt plate amp.

The C12.1 is about $125, but if you're looking to spend as little as possible, go with the C12.2 -- which is a more conservative woofer, but should do well with the same box and the same power.

hi batman

here is the superman return say.the web is good. 370 watt plate amp is interesting. but i only use 100 watts. my mom said that "lek" (nick name) why increase volume very load. i said to my mother that "mom" i think when i'm 50 years old. the time that i don't want to hear anything because my both ears cannotuae.lol

Taterworks! something i agree but something idon't.

C12.2 ok that is cheap price. poly mix with cabon fibre for hard construction of cone. but can help a litle. when it works with deep bass. the note bass is not clear. but it's cheap price that they can sell .....

C12.1 is aluminum cone. ok is hard cone. if that i use kavlar cone(front) i will not buy C12.1 . i will buy when the front speaker is aluminun as the same.

regards

thawach

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.