p315ho amp and lambda 15 don't like eachother, now what? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th April 2008, 12:14 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default p315ho amp and lambda 15 don't like eachother, now what?

Broswing craigslist the other day I ran across a diy sub someone built based on a Lambda 15001-pfphn-4af 15" driver with a complimentary 15" passive radiator on the back. Supposedly built to specs given by the old owner of lambda for nice flat response down to around 22hz or so in the proper volume cabinet.
(I haven't measured the cab yet to give specs to verify that nor do I know enough yet to know how to even use those programs.)

The plate amp I've had for years that has served me very well with a basic 12" ACI SV12 is a Carver Sunfire 500w clone built by Acoustic Research from a P315HO speaker. (same as AR1 basically) It seems to have a boost built in for the lowest range as many or most do and I have no schematic to know how to fix it.
The boost was never an issue with the old sub, it sure is with the new one though.

I was lured into buying the new sub because my old 12 blew up, and I'd always wanted more and better anyway. I had thought of building a simple sonosub for a long time but this sub is nicer looking than what I would have come up with going that route.

What would you all reccomend I do? Keep the sub, sell the amp? Keep the amp, ditch the sub? Sell em both and do my own work with new stuff? Try to buy a schematic from AR and figure out how to disable the boost? Which sub or which amp would be worth moving up to? I couldn't afford another 500W amp this nice I don't think, nor could I build a sub like this anywhere close to what I paid for this one even I did just use sonotube.

I'm sort of stuck in a dilema, I like them both but I don't know if it's even possible to buy a schematic from AR and if I did find one I'd still need help figuring out what to do, though I can solder...

Pics of the sub attached to aid in the decision, I think it's worth keeping the sub even though it's old.

Help please?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 010104011614010303200804158159310710052e44ed004c21.jpg (5.5 KB, 110 views)
Old 17th April 2008, 12:15 AM   #2
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

If you can't get the schematic you can always try adding insulation to the cabinet and adding weight to the passive cone. Neither is a perfect solution but might help with the boominess.
Old 17th April 2008, 04:25 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

thank you Cal

The old owner says it's already stuffed, and that adding weight to the PR would just tune it lower and might not actually be the problem.

He's thinking maybe my receiver needs me to dig around in the on screen stuff and see if something is set wrong. (That may be, it's been over a year since the old sub died and I haven't looked in the on screen stuff since HDTV came) The receiver is a HK avr510 and only handles svideo, so not much point in hooking that up other than to look in the settings. The front panel says it's set to L/R & LFE and only gives that option or LFE or none, but maybe there's more hidden in the on screen stuff.

Boy would I be happy if that's all it takes.

Now to find an svideo cable...

Troy
Old 17th April 2008, 04:25 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

As long as I'm here where people really know about this stuff..

Does anyone know how this would compare to a pair of Elemental 13ov.2's, the ones on sale? Not looking for car audio boom but just good kick, more than on 12 could ever do for HT while still being very musical and accurate.

Have things changed enough over the past few years to make this driver less attractive for my needs than a pair of those?

thanks again
Old 23rd April 2008, 02:45 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Nevermind, It was just the receiver that had bass boosted.

Great, my first post and I announce I'm an idiot. Welcome to the forum right?

Hide this!Advertise here!