servo sub for small sealed box? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th April 2008, 02:40 PM   #1
autopi is offline autopi  United States
diyAudio Member

Default servo sub for small sealed box?

Hello,
I'm looking to build a sub for my music only system, and have pretty much decided on a Rythmik 12" servo system, based on favorable comments here and elsewhere. I'm trying to keep the enclosure as small as possible, as in preferably not more than ~1.5 cu. ft.. The Rythmik 12" standard takes 2.0 cu. ft; Brian at Rythmik says they no longer produce the compact version, and pointed me to the GR Research 12" servo sub which apparently fits the bill.

http://www.gr-research.com/index.asp...ROD&ProdID=139

However, that sub has a foam surround, which I'd like to avoid b/c of foam rot. (I didn't know they still made drivers with foam surrounds!)

So here's my question: what would happen if I take a Rythmik 12" standard and put it into a ~1.5 cu. ft. box? Is it just a matter of losing SPL (not particularly important to me; I don't listen to music at party volumes)? Or will it be terrible and should I just get the GR Research sub?

I can model these things with the spreadsheets for sealed boxes, but since this is a servo design, and one where the Qts is controlled by the amp rather than by the enclosure, I'm not sure how to model it.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 12th April 2008, 02:49 PM   #2
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

Modern foams are much better than they used to be for life. Also if you mount the driver downfiring so it's never in direct sunlight I bet you will never need to replace it.
Old 12th April 2008, 03:02 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I don't doubt that light may make the foam deteriate faster
but. Back 20 years ago I bought a pair of Morel drivers and
after playing with them for an hour or so repacked them in
the cardboard boxes and put them in a dark closit. Ten years
later I pulled them out to find the foam was compleatly shot.
Old 12th April 2008, 03:49 PM   #4
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

That's galling, but that was also 20 year old foam technology. Modern foams have considerably better lifespan.

Hide this!Advertise here!