Ported Enclosure Advice

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A very interesting thread....

I need to design some vented enclosures for my SEAS W33 FB 13" woofers, and plugging the required data in to my software, I get a suggested box volume and port size.....

But then I came across this thing on different alignments.....

Seems there are a great number of these so called alignments, which i understand is different ratios between box volumes and port tunings.. (?) From what I understand, there are a number of benefit-drawback compromises between these.

My priority would be extended low frequency and good transient response, physical size being less important.

How do I identify the alignment best optimised to meet these criteria, and how do i make my software calculate accordingly??

Perhaps I need a different software where one can specify the desired alignment?

Any enlightenment or suggestions for further reading/ suitable (preferably free) software is much sought and welcomed! :)

Elbert

Elbert said:

But then I came across this thing on different alignments.....

Seems there are a great number of these so called alignments, which i understand is different ratios between box volumes and port tunings.. (?) From what I understand, there are a number of benefit-drawback compromises between these.

My priority would be extended low frequency and good transient response, physical size being less important.

How do I identify the alignment best optimised to meet these criteria, and how do i make my software calculate accordingly??

Perhaps I need a different software where one can specify the desired alignment?

Any enlightenment or suggestions for further reading/ suitable (preferably free) software is much sought and welcomed! :)

Elbert

Hi, 140L tuned to 26Hz (as given in another thread), :)/sreten.

hi AndrewT

One can put the port where one likes.

Smoke on the water.... Ouch... (i think that why the deep purple didnot put " Ouch Ouch" in his song :D LOL)

i can not agree at all. i had ever putted the port on the back baffle. i saw the port that i saw the woofer as the same. i got the sound that i wook nok like. or i putted it near the corner or near the woofer as the same i wook nok like. i don't know why i wook nok like LOL/:cool:

Elbert said:
Thanks for the tip regarding the software Sreten, certainly a more versatile package than the old one I had!

Still trying to get to the bottom of the different alignments though...

What's the alignment you used to get 140 L and 25 Hz tuning frequency?

sreten said:

There are no simple answers to the above. But a good rule of thumb
is detuning the Butterworth 4th order port frequency by 0.7 to 0.8 .

:)/sreten.

About this detuning, or perhaps more appropriate, correction..

Is it about reducing the tuning frequency by said factor, or is it concerned with the length of the actual port? My understanding is that the calculated port length should be reduced by a certain factor as a real life port tend to have a lower tuning frequency than the theoretical one due to interactions/ transition to the air volumes at beginning and end?

Elbert said:
About this detuning, or perhaps more appropriate, correction..

Is it about reducing the tuning frequency by said factor,

Hi,

It is the former, works in some cases, not in others, generally model.
You look at what happens to f3, f6 and f10. SBB4 gives an obvious
"knee", for the detuned versions the transition is softer, there us
more lower bass and the upper bass is tighter than SBB4.
They give curves more likely to match low bass room gain.

SBB4 does give a good estimate of the volume needed,
which also typically double the sealed box B2 volume.

:)/sreten.

Attachments

• guff.jpg
    guff.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 99

hi Elbert

i know that english language is not your first language. sometime it's difficult to follow the exact meaning. now i understand a little. today i try to use superbass box pro 6... and i have just knowing that here is the program that u wong. it's free but it's free trial.

hey! sreten do u have the math about QB3 SBB4 C4 Bw4? Now i wong
i wook like to return in the past(like bat man return) Please u
post to me. i wong...i wong! sreten helps me. my guy^2

:D :D :D :D /TW

Elbert! i forget that your english is better than I.:D i think that u do nok use the bass box. i think again i will lose my friend because u will go the car audio forum and do nok return to here.LOL if i find freeware like this i will send u again.

sreten if u do nok help me. my friend=(guy/2)/2 LOL
now i found QB3= 20*vas*qts^3.3 guy helps me please./super:cool:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.