Budget HT sub project - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th April 2008, 03:59 PM   #1
jacsas is offline jacsas  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Budget HT sub project

I am new here but well into my ever changing home theatre...

I am replacing a Paradigm ps1200 (12" bandpass) sub with 2 15" Audiobahn high excursion subs and a TOA 300w x 2 rms pro audio amp. The subs will be in sealed or ported boxes. Not 100% sure which way I will go with the boxes yet but they will be flush mounted into either the front wall or front side wall of my HT. The reason I think this is a "budget" install is that the subs were $200 and the amp was only $125 - all off ebay. I had a car audio adjustable crossover laying around that I will use for now to get going.

So far I have:
The amp mounted in my rack
My car audio crossover mounted
All wiring connected between amp/crossover/pre-amp

Hopefully boxes will be ready to test by the weekend.
Pierre
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg sub.jpeg (66.8 KB, 206 views)
Old 14th April 2008, 03:47 PM   #2
jacsas is offline jacsas  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Update

Just a brief update,

Well I hooked up one sub in a 2.25 cubic foot generic ported box to the amp bridged and it was okay - could not really test at a decent level due to kids sleeping upstairs. I played around with the crossover point, phase and level until it was basically right.

Then on a whim I decided to try running the sub out from the preamp (crossed at a fixed 100hz ?) into the input on my AudioControl phase coupled activator and then out into the car audio electronic crossover. Wow....Holy ..... what a difference. I bought this thing a couple of years ago and never hooked it up. To say the quality and extension of bass was improved is like saying adding a sub to a system is noticable. Based on this experience I am quite sure that 2 of these drivers in sealed boxes will be ample for my application.
Pierre

Hide this!Advertise here!