Volt B2500.1 Enclosure - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st April 2008, 08:45 PM   #1
schmeet is online now schmeet  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Volt B2500.1 Enclosure

Ok i want an enclosure for two Volt B2500.1's link to specs

A sealed doesn't really give enough low freq response. I've had a play with TL's and its seemingly impossible to do one for two drivers. (without having them side by side).

I've ben playing with winisd to get a ported design. Now i'd like to steer away from the trates of typical ported "boom" boxs and have minimal group delay, port noise and excursion whilst retaining a fairly flat freq response.

The two boxes i have come up with are:

Yellow = Sealed
Red = 1.046 cuft tuned to 29.5 Hz
Blue = 1.343 cuft tuned to 34.75 Hz

Click the image to open in full size.

Now the freq response of the blue is slightly better. But the red one has better group delay, port velocity and cone excursion.

My only worries are that these are way different to the suggested enclosures. Do they seem alright to you guys, and would you suggest anything different?

Regards
Pete
Old 1st April 2008, 09:09 PM   #2
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

I would go with the red curve. Don't worry, your design is not actually off the manufacturers mark, see they specify designs from 20 litres to 70 litres. Yours simply falls inbetween the three alignments they chose to present.

PS hi
Old 2nd April 2008, 03:04 PM   #3
bjorno is offline bjorno  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to bjorno
Quote:
...My only worries are that these are way different to the suggested enclosures...
Maybe there are more serious reasons behind other suggestions than to be close to the manufacturers incomplete recommendations.

b

1(1)
Attached Images
File Type: gif volt b2500.1-29.6l.gif (30.3 KB, 177 views)
Old 2nd April 2008, 05:09 PM   #4
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Volt B2500.1 Enclosure

Quote:
Originally posted by schmeet

I've had a play with TL's and its seemingly impossible to do one for two drivers. (without having them side by side).
Says who?

Me and many others have been satisfied that choosing a point along the line and then using it as the acoustic mean to place the drivers vertically above/below since it seems reasonable that they would average out 'good enough' and IIRC MJK proved it mathematically awhile back for the skeptics. After all, what's the difference between two separate sources or one oblong one WRT pipe action?

Just so we're clear, this doesn't apply to drivers positioned as you originally considered, only to drivers closely coupled, i.e. butted up against each other.

GM
Old 2nd April 2008, 05:58 PM   #5
schmeet is online now schmeet  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Oh i see.

i didn't consider that putting them very close would act like as though they were at a single point. Seems pretty sensible though...

thanks for that

Pete

Hide this!Advertise here!